Viva Method And Issue

Decorating By bubbiesbougie Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 8:09pm by cakegroove

bubbiesbougie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbiesbougie Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone else notcie that when you use the viva paper towel method, you are left with fuzzies on the cake.... I have no idea whats going on but it's gross!

I just notcied this and have stopped using this method. What else can I use ( I have tried parchment and wax paper not as effective).

What other methods do you use?

5 replies
LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 6

I used to use the Viva method, never had any problems but recently switched to using the sponge roller and I LOVE IT! So much faster and smoother. You can purchase at any hardware/paint store

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 6

Your buttercream needs to be crusted before you use the Viva. Or at least not tacky when you touch it.

cindynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindynes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

I haven't had any problems with Viva towels either, however, I just started using the "upside-down frosting method" demonstrated by jessicakes on her website and I will never frost a cake the old way again.lol
I did a 12", 10" and 8" cake using this method and it worked out great! I used Reynolds Freezer paper instead of wax paper (wax paper absorbed the moisture from the buttercream and it started to tear). Give it a try on your next cake, I think you'll be converted too!! OH yeah, and a good tool to use to scrape the sides of the cake is a paint guide called 'Finish Factor' standard triple edge paint guide. You can find this in the hardware stores.Good luck.

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 6

The roller works good, but Make sure that you use a high density roller. I have also used the roller along with viva.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 6

I have issues with the roller leaving grooves in the icing from the edges of the roller

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%