Pricing For 3D Cakes

Decorating By Cathy38 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 11:51am by angelcakes11

Cathy38 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 12

How Do I... Price a never been done 3D or sculpted cake? I am a newbie
and have the basics down but still confused on pricing for special cakes.
Attached is a cake I just made (First Time) for my nephews 5th birthday. The stormtrooper body is cake and the head is rice crispy. The green Lego is about 9 x 5 and one cup cake.Would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you Please see picture: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103183

11 replies
RetiredNavyChief Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 12

The min. price for my 3D's are $100, then go up from there.

angelcakes11 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 12

I seem to get a bit lost when pricing cakes and here's why... firstly we need to charge obviously for our ingredients in making the cake, there are so many different types of cakes and fillings that I am still lost on what to charge for what cake but that aside, I am supposed to charge for all ingredients, frosting, fondant( I purchase it) decorations and then my time? This is where I get lost .... without even charging for my time on a cake as all cakes differ depending on detail and tiers just the ingredients, fondant, and buttercream is already well past $60.00 minimum!! and thats not counting any of my time. so basically am I understanding some of the posts on here about pricing that cakes go for well over $100.00??? I am also curious on how much or how do you calculate what you pay yourself an hour or per cake or however. When it comes to pricing I am really lost I am always afraid to charge astronomical prices as I think people will think I lost my mind!

vgray Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 12

You are providing a service just like anyone with their job. Do you think the plumber or electrician will cut their price because customers think it's too high? No. You have to look at your cake business as a business and not a hobby. Just because we love what we do for a living does not mean we should charge less for our work. We should charge more because we actually like our jobs and care about the product we are selling and not just getting it done so we can go home.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 12

I totally agree. When I first started my prices were way to low. Then i started increasing them as i went. If they want the cake and see that it is not just cake but art they will pay your price. When I think "oh no way are they going to pay that much for the cake, they surprise me and go okay" Your time is the biggest expense you should count!

AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 12

"...just the ingredients, fondant, and buttercream is already well past $60.00 minimum!! and thats not counting any of my time. so basically am I understanding some of the posts on here about pricing that cakes go for well over $100.00???"

Are you asking (even after saying yourself your ingredients alone are $60) how people can charge $100 and more for cake? Any cake? No matter what the size?

angelcakes11 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 12

AnotherCaker,

I was asking, I guess I think as someone said prior that I don't think people will pay it and will think its to expensive. I think after reading alot of the threads on pricing that I am charging not enough for my cakes.I know I stated how much it costs. It is going to roughly cost me $60.00 in fondant, cake ingredients, butter cream for a 10" cake that resembles a brat dolls face.I know it will roughly take me about 2 hrs to decorate it so then would be an $ 80.00 cake. Not sure if I am getting a hang of this pricing thing.

AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 12

Pricing is tough sometimes, I agree. Do you feel comfortable with only having a $20 bill to show for your hard work?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:38am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy38

How Do I... Price a never been done 3D or sculpted cake? I am a newbie
and have the basics down but still confused on pricing for special cakes.
Attached is a cake I just made (First Time) for my nephews 5th birthday. The stormtrooper body is cake and the head is rice crispy. The green Lego is about 9 x 5 and one cup cake.Would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you Please see picture: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103183

First of all, WOW! That is awesome!

3D cakes were so hard for me to figure out pricing wise at first. I always dreaded trying to figure out what to charge for them especially! But now that we have a little formula for all of our cakes, it's no harder than any other cake to price.

We start out by figuring up our cost of ingredients- that's cake, icing, filling, fondant, boards, dowels, etc. All of your materials.

Then estimate how much time it will take you bake, fill, crumbcoat, carve, decorate, etc. Figure up the total number of hours you think it will take you. Make your best educated guess if you are unsure.

Figure out how much you want to get paid per hour. We charge $10 per hour for simple stuff, and $15 for more complicated stuff, like sugar flowers.

Add cost of materials and cost of labor together, then add overhead and profit. Profit should be between 20%-30%. That total should get you to a good price for the cake.

That particular cake we probably would have charged somewhere in the range of $400-$500 just based on the overall complexity of design. HTH!

jason_kraft Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:37am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes11

It is going to roughly cost me $60.00 in fondant, cake ingredients, butter cream for a 10" cake that resembles a brat dolls face.I know it will roughly take me about 2 hrs to decorate it so then would be an $ 80.00 cake. Not sure if I am getting a hang of this pricing thing.

Don't forget overhead costs (at a minimum you should have liability insurance and extra utility costs to consider) and your profit margin. If you are running a business you will want to charge above your cost (which includes the cost of your time), otherwise you are just breaking even and will never turn a profit.

Re overhead, let's say liability insurance and added utilities are $700 for the year and you sell one cake per week. The overhead cost for each cake is $700/52 = ~$14. If your time is worth $10/hour, your cost for that cake is $60 + $20 + $14 = $94. The price is your cost plus a profit margin, so if you add a 20% margin the price will be $113.

vgray Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:02am
post #11 of 12

Are you only counting you time to decorate and not your time to mix, bake, cool, level, ice, decorate, and clean up the mess? My minimum time for a cake is 5 hours.

angelcakes11 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:51am
post #12 of 12

Well I am starting to see that I have been giving my cakes away!

jason_kraft I did not take the costs of any over head into consideration at all, again I also did not factor in any costs for the baking and cleaning end of it. Well looks like my prices will be going up considerably considering from what I was charging I was taking a loss! My next cake is for Wednesday, this is a picture of it

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i455/angelcakes114/

It will be for 25 people. The customer requested changes from that picture, longer hair, fuller eyelashes across the whole eye and makeup, blush and eyeshadow. I told her I would have a price for her today. What would you guys charge for that cake? I am thinking I will email her back with a price of $100.00 hopefully she will still want the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%