Avoiding The Cheesecake Grand Canyon!

Baking By dmo4ab Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm by dmo4ab

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 4

Do I've discovered I like baking cheesecakes. Been using for recipie for a while, bakes beautifully, but by the time it cools, it looks like the grand canyon has opened up on top!! Found a recipie a couple months back that suggesting turning the oven off, prop the door ajar with a wooden spoon and let it stay in the oven an hour or so. That worked beutifully. Tried the same thing on another recipie this weekend....and yet again...grand canyon!

What am I doing wrong?

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:05am
post #2 of 4

1. Do not bake in a convection oven.
2. Use an oven thermometer.
3. Do not open the oven door for at least the first half hour.
4. The oven door method can't work for all recipes and could be usafe due to an undercooked cake.
5. THE BIG ONE: Butter your pan, prebake your crust, if applicable. Wrap the outside and up the sides with foil. Put it in a pan larger than the springform pan. Push the cheesecake to the side and fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the pan with hot water. Center the pan. Bake.
6. The cheesecake is done when the center is almost set.
7 Take out of the oven and place on a wire rack out of drafts. Let cool for one hour. After 1/2 hour, you can run a slim knife around the cheesecake.
8. Let cool completely without moving it. When it is cooled, you may refrigerate it with the ring still attached, covered.
9.To give away, or just to remove from the springform bottom, put the cake in the freezer for 1/2 hour. Turn your stovetop burner on medium. Hold the pan over the burner, going back and forth momentarily. The cheesecake will be firm, but the barely softened butter will allow for the easy release with a cake lifter.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:09am
post #3 of 4

Another big one: Do not overmix after the eggs are added (one at a time, allowing for each to incorporate before the next is added. Minimal mixing should be done after this point, maybe one minute.

All ingredients should be at room temp. Any lumps will not melt. They will still be there.

I think I'm done now.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks scp1127

I will give all that a try. My brother-in-law always wants a cheesecake for his birthday, so I'll be baking another one in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%