Cake Pops Don't Stay On Stick

Baking By aneharris Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 7:00pm by n_jean

aneharris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aneharris Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 9

How do you make the cake balls stay on the stick? I chill them about an hour or more before inserting the stick in the chocolate and then in the cake ball, then I chill again. When I go to dip the cake ball they fall off of the stick? Help! I have ruined a lot of cake like this ending up with just a ball of chocolate covered cake.

8 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 9

Try inserting the stick dipped in chocolate before you chill the cakeballs. In other words, skip the chilling of the cake balls first and get a good glob of chocolate on the end of the stick and insert it and then chill. You might also just spoon the chocolate over your cakeball instead of dipping..turning it while you apply it. Also, is your dipping chocolate too thick?

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 9

Try dipping one end of the stick in melted chocolate then inserting it in the cake ball & wait until it dries
heres a tutorial that might help

http://cupcakeluvs.blogspot.com/2011/06/mango-delight-cake-pops.html

aneharris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aneharris Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 9

Yes I dip the stick in chocolate first, then in the cake ball, then chill. They still fall off. The chocolate seems to be a good consistancy. I will try spooning the chocolate on instead of dipping. Maybe the batter was too moist.

sabileos1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabileos1 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

Try adding less frosting... it may be too wet and sliding off...and also add shortening to your chocolate to thin it out..

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 9

I am thinking the problem lies in the cake ball itself. It is obviously not firm enough. Are you using too much frosting? What kind of frosting are you using. I've seen some recipes call for a whole can of ready made frosting. I've found a cup or a bit more is usually enough. Also make sure you're not using the whipped frostings. They will not firm up. Straight candy melts are too thick and thus too heavy to dip. They work great for piping or drizzle but you need to dip in product like Candiquick and the like. I always chill in the freezer about an hour then dip the stick in the chocolate and stick in the ball and chill a bit more while I get all of my candy melting and ready for dipping. If your ball is too cold the chocolate will crack once it hardens when your ball is actually thawing. Hope this helps.

CherylB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylB Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 9

Another option is to use NO icing when making the cake balls. I find that if I wait until the cake has cooled to be just comfortable to the touch before I start forming it into cake balls, no icing at all is required.

Hope this helps!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 9

Also, make sure that when you are dipping that your chocolate goes over the ball and then onto the stick a little bit. That helps as well. Also, make sure your cake balls aren't too big and heavy for the stick.

n_jean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_jean Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 9

I would place bets on the fact that you have too much frosting! This has happened to me too many times and that is almost always the problem. If that isnt then they have gotten too warm and after dipped it slid off. So, either not as much frosting or chill the balls longer. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%