Question About Stenciling

Decorating By debbief Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 2:19pm by FrecklesCakes

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 11

I'm doing my first wedding cake for my niece (woohoo) and she wants a white and black damask style cake. I've never stenciled a cake before so I'm a bit nervous. I've been doing a lot of research and looking at tons of tutorials so I have the general idea. I plan to do royal icing on fondant.

The one thing I never see in any tutorial is how they continue the pattern all the way around the cake. I see how one section is done and it looks beautiful and then the lesson is over. How do they pick up where they left off and continue around the cake without smudging the previously stenciled section? Thanks for any advice!!

10 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:36am
post #2 of 11

Im no expect on stenciling but I figure that you would just eyeball CAREFULLY after you stencil the first pattern. Then line it up according to the pattern and continue from there. just make sure that the end matches the beginning ofthe next. Practice on a a foam dummy or maybe wax paper to get the look you want before doing it on yr actual cake

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 11

I highly recommend you purchase Nicholas Lodge's, French Style Decorating Techniques
DVD as it shows you how to stencil and gives you a RI recipe also.

Your niece will appreciate it and your wedding cake will be stunning!

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 11

I've never done one yet, but would think you would let the first section dry before matching up for the second section

debbief Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone for your help. Tiptop I'm going to check out your recommendation! I need all the pointers I can get!

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 11

Hi!

I did this cake at the weekend (first time stenciling). Lots of people asked for a tutorial, so I wrote one up. If you like, I can send it to you if you give me your email address (you can PM me privately). I can't PM the tutorial to you because it has multiple photos.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2101581

debbief Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you EnglishCakeLady. I'm sending a pm now. Your cake is gorgeous! I would be thrilled if mine came out that good!!

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 11

When I did some stenciling with RI, I would do a section and then let it dry before I moved on. which gave me time to clean the stencil between each application.

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 11

I am doing my first stencil now on my first fondant cake. I have only done the first section which worked great but am now trying to figure out how to match it up too. Fingers crossed it works out icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the let the first sction dry tip icon_smile.gif

EnglishCakeLady - would you mind emailing me as well. I'll send you a PM. (a bit late for this cake, but I would love to see how I can improve if i ever have the chance to do it again icon_smile.gif )

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 11

EnglishCakeLady - LOVELY!! That's exactly the pattern I was looking for! Which stencil are you using? I have it on my wish list but nit sure which one I'll be buying yet.

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 11

oh I think i did it. It just sorta links. Give it a go on a practice cake icon_smile.gif when the first drys do teh next part putting it together. if it does quite match fit it with a brush or piping bag etc icon_smile.gif Would still love to see the tutorial to see if this is right, but it seems to have worked for me. (just to let you know)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%