Cake Pop Help!!

Sugar Work By emfledd7 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm by JSKConfections

emfledd7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emfledd7 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 4

I'm battling a stressful birthday cake order that includes 40 individually wrapped cake pops as party favors. I've tried twice this week to make a trial run of a few cake pops..but had no success.
I made a pound cake recipe & used 1/2 cup buttercream, shaped them into cars (Disney cars theme). I bought the Cake Pop book & followed the instructions of shaping the pops, chilling for 2 hours, dipping the sticks in the chocolate & inserting them into the pops & again chilling for 2 hours. When it came time to dip, I used Wilton candy melts & it wasn't thin enough..so I added some canola oil. Although it covered well, it either didn't set or the cake pop had condensation.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

3 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 4

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7165507.html#7165507

That thread should help you! If you read further down, you'll see someone recommends not to use oil, but shortening instead, so it'll set up. As far as condensation, if you're freezing them and then dipping them in hot chocolate - it's natural and should evaporate it you let the pops set out and dry. Good luck!

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 4

My advice would be to get better candy melts. I found Wilton one of the most user unfriendly.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 4

The canola oil will make the chocolate stay oily and not set with the hard outside. Try this it is a homemade magic shell recipe. You can use white chocolate chips and put some food coloring in if your dying them. make sure your ready to dip it hardens within 15 minutes of not using. Hope this helps.

http://www.food.com/recipe/magic-shell-chocolate-sauce-43997

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%