Buddy's Vanilla (Custard) Cake

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 12:59am by KayMc

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone ever made this larger than 8 inches? I was thinking of trying it for a 12" cake but was unsure of the baking time or any special considerations I need to make for it.

10 replies
scp1127 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:34am
post #2 of 11

Hi Annie,

Have you made it before, just not bigger? I've made it many times at 8 and 9 inches and cupcakes, but no bigger. I do have a suggestion, though. Buddy says you can mix the custard longer to make it stiffer. I make mine very stiff. If you do this, it would seem that the structure will be fine because it is so sturdy.

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 11

Hey Susan!

Thanks for your reply. I have not made it yet. I am making it for my mom's birthday in August as an 8", but I have two cakes coming up (for the same person) where she's going to want a tier of a "really good vanilla" cake. It's for her shower and wedding. So I'm just trying to come up with a game plan about how to make it into a larger version.

ctirella Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 11

hi ,can you Please Share This Recipe thanks.

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 11

I don't have the link for it, but you can do a Google search for it and it should come up. It's the recipe with two cups of custard in the batter.

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 11

This blog has the cake and the custard recipe (which is very difficult to find online, not too many times they include the custard).

I hope this is the one because she calls it Crumb Cake. I don't have the book and won't be getting it. AnnieCahill, is this the one you're making?

ctirella Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 11

thank you icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 11

Yeah I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I just like to try new things every now and then. And who better to experiment on than your own mother. icon_smile.gif

I still have yet to try the vanilla recipe from Smitten Kitchen. You and I had talked about that a while back. I may make one of those as well and use that for my friend's shower and wedding cake instead. I think that recipe would be easier to scale and probably a little less finicky than this recipe. I'm just intrigued by the two cups of homemade custard in the batter. It makes me foam at the mouth a little. LOL.

I found the recipe in a thread on here a while ago-but like you, I probably won't buy the book.

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 11

I remember, AnnieCahill. By the way, there's a vanilla recipe that I'm going to try soon (I just hope I can find space in my crazy life schedule to do it). I read it on one of the blogs I read.

So many things to try...so little time.

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 11

Yep I saw where you had posted that the other day-I bookmarked it to try too!

KayMc Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:59am
post #11 of 11

If anyone bakes that fluffy cake with ice cream flavored frosting, I'd love to hear the reviews on it! If the heat ever breaks, I'd love to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%