Traveling With Cake?

Decorating By BabyGSR Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm by Texas_Rose

BabyGSR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGSR Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone, I am a new member and this is my 1st post. I'm not sure where this post would go but thought I give it a try in here.

Anyways, I was ask to bake a cake for my Aunt's wedding in September. I'm planing to do a flame fish with fondant over it and sitting on top of a halfsheet cake with whipped icing for the Groom's cake.

My only concern is that I live 3 1/2-4 hrs drive. So with that long distance drive, I'm planing to bake/finish the flame fish with fondant first, and than travel the 3 1/2 - 4 hrs drive when I get to her house i will finish the last part which is the halfsheet with whipped icing.

Now my Questions is:

I'd never traveled with a cake before. Will my fondant on the fish melt or crumble? How would I protect it? Should I put it in an cooler?

Anyone who's experience with traveling with an cake, please let me know the pro's and con's. =) Thanks.

2 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 3

I have traveled with many fondant covered cakes. Make sure your cake stays cooler with AC if possible, don't let it get hot. If the cake will risk being bumped by a shallow box around it. Do not use one. Make sure cake is level with nothing around it. And drive careful. Your biggest concern is bumpy roads, take your time. Good luck with your cake!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 3

Use the AC for sure.

I always use a box for my cakes. If you've got a small car, then a plastic storage bin might be just the right size to fit on one of the back seats. Roll up a towel and put it on the curve of the seat to keep the bin level. Put a piece of nonslip drawer liner in the bin under the cake board, and cover the top of the bin loosely with foil. Slide the front seat back until the bin doesn't wiggle.

If you've got a suv, wagon, or mini van, just put a piece of nonslip drawer liner on the floor of the cargo area and set your cake box on that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%