Random Thought Of The Day

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm by cutthecake

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 22

Why the heck is the word "birthday" so dang long? Seriously. Who came up with that? Why couldn't we say "Happy Day"? It would look so much cleaner on a cake. I hate writing on cakes in general and will go out of my way to escape it. But it always lurks there in the shadow, mocking me...taunting me with eight long letters...birthday. Stupid word.

Ok...backing away from the coffee pot riiiiiight now. icon_rolleyes.gif

21 replies
Nazarine Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 22

And don't get me started on "Congratulations". Yup. I'm thinking of starting a trend and substituting, "Cool". Maybe I'll be a trail blazer. icon_biggrin.gif

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 22

I have friend that made cakes for Thanksgiving and wrote Happy Thanksgiving on 6 cakes before she realized she spelled them all wrong!

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 22

I hate writing congratulations! I have to have it spelled out beside the cake, and I very carefully check each letter as I write it...

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 22

Obviously the people that came up with these words were NOT cake decorators. haha
Just like the people that come up with things at work are the ones that have never actually stepped foot into the work place.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarine

And don't get me started on "Congratulations". Yup. I'm thinking of starting a trend and substituting, "Cool". Maybe I'll be a trail blazer. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 22

when I first started - so many years ago...I can't recall how many cakes had the word Birthday sort of hanging over the edge.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 22

Happy Anniversary

Congratulations on your Graduation

both could be substituted for "!"

or WOW!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 22

What i don't understand is why do people have to have

HAPPY 57TH BIRTHDAY BLUE on a cake anyway.
I mean lets face it...

I know how old i am
If people are at my party - the they know it is my birthay and they sure all know my name is Blue.

So who are we writting it for icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I hate it - tapedshut.gif

I will emboss someones name on a cake - if i must
But to be honest - i think it tacky - old fashioned and i just sit staring blankly when a customer says "ohhh and can you put ..... on the cake.

my response is - Why would you want that...is someone going to be standing in the corner of your dinning room who doesn't know your name - doesn't know its your birthday - and does it matter if they don't now your exact age icon_rolleyes.gif

No, i don't do it...
But the supermarket down the street does .... icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

my response is - Why would you want that...is someone going to be standing in the corner of your dinning room who doesn't know your name - doesn't know its your birthday - and does it matter if they don't now your exact age icon_rolleyes.gif

Too funny!! icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

What i don't understand is why do people have to have

HAPPY 57TH BIRTHDAY BLUE on a cake anyway.
I mean lets face it...

I know how old i am
If people are at my party - the they know it is my birthay and they sure all know my name is Blue.

So who are we writting it for icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I hate it - tapedshut.gif

I will emboss someones name on a cake - if i must
But to be honest - i think it tacky - old fashioned and i just sit staring blankly when a customer says "ohhh and can you put ..... on the cake.

No, i don't do it...
But the supermarket down the street does .... icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

I DESPISE putting happy birthday on a cake. Call it ego, but my cakes are too darn pretty for all that old fashioned crap. But I can't seem to get people to NOT want it, and believe me, I've tried. I now just make gumpaste plaques that I put somewhere.

The worst is I sell a lot of 6" cakes. People order them then want "Happy Sweet 16th Birthday Charlotte" and I'm like, uh, it's a 6" cake, where am I supposed to put all that along with the design you want? Sigh.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 22

This whole thread just made me LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I totally and utterly agree! The second to last cake I made was like my pride and joy at the time, then my friend said oh... can you put happy 30th birthday Jill on it? I said aren't you gonna buy her a card for that? Not to mention text her, how many times does she need to hear it? ..she still made me do it. Luckily I had a large enough space as the top tier was only 4 inches on the 9 inch bottom, I don't know what she would have expected otherwise. Luckily for me my cakes are usually for family so they aren't that bothered.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 22

OMG this is great...because I agree...I agree with all of you, with every single statement you all have made!!! Whenever people ask me to write on cakes I totally think the same....where would you like me to put it that #1 it makes sense and incorporates into the design and #2 where it fits?

I feel the same, if you want Happy 50th Birthday Bernadette then get on down to the grocerty store and buy good ol' Bern a sheetcake that's where it belongs.....b/c I don't do those either!!

I have resorted to also making a plaque IF they ask for it to be put on there - if they don't specifically ask for HB to be written on the cake I do not lose sleep wondering if they expect it!!

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

I hate writing congratulations! I have to have it spelled out beside the cake, and I very carefully check each letter as I write it...

I once had to spell out "Congratulations" on a graduation cake that I was trying to finish at 4am (after working on it all night) My husband and I questioned the spelling and after much discussion decided it was definately "Congradulations"..."Like in graduation" we told ourselves. Now that was embarassing when we woke up 3 hours later!!! icon_redface.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 22

bakerliz, that last line made me laugh! So many people spell it wrong and end up on Cakewrecks. icon_biggrin.gif

I like having the happy xxth birthday, so and so on the cake because when you look at that picture years from now, are you going to know exactly what event you were celebrating? Maybe, but the writing will cinch it!

Disclosure statement: I am a hobby baker who doesn't deal with this cake writing thing daily. I bet my tune would change! icon_lol.gif

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 22

I prefer to write on the cake board than on the actual cake itself.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I DESPISE putting happy birthday on a cake. Call it ego, but my cakes are too darn pretty for all that old fashioned crap.

Hear, hear! And candles! No way am I letting someone put 50 ish candles on one of my cakes icon_smile.gif. I'll CONSIDER putting them on the board. For my DH's birthday last week I held a lighter in front of him icon_lol.gif. It's a good thing I don't do too many kids' cakes.

Nazarine Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:56am
post #18 of 22

LOL! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. You guys are awesome!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:18pm
post #19 of 22

"Felicitations and Congratulations on your Stunning Accomplishment, Constantinople"

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:04pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

"Felicitations and Congratulations on your Stunning Accomplishment, Constantinople"

Can I get that on my 2 tiered cake to feed 4 people? I just want it simple, can I pick it up in 20 minutes?

icon_biggrin.gif

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

This made me LOL! Love it!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #22 of 22

I can have it ready in 10.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%