8 Inch Cake @ 325F How Long Does It Bake?

Baking By ranillabean Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 11:16am by kakeladi

ranillabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranillabean Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:22am
post #1 of 4

I can never seem to take the cake out at the right time. And im scared to open the oven to test because a couple times I have and the cake completely sunk.

How long do you bake an 8 inch cake at 325? I bake 48 minutes and sometimes it is brown on the sides (a white cake) and sometimes its like a golden yellow, which is right?

Do you have any tips for when Im looking through the oven door, what are good signs that its done? Pulling from the sides? rounded or flat top? Brown or gold?

3 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:10am
post #2 of 4

is your cake 2" in height. 45 -55 minutes is ok. are you placing it in the middle shelf? test after 45 mins and there after check every 5 to be sure. at most times the cakes separates from the pan when its done - this is my experience. practise, practise and practise

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:58am
post #3 of 4

The first visual sign that a cake is done baking is that it hits a point where it stops rising and begins to settle and contract. You can tell this because the surface will go from wrinkly to a perfectly smooth, round dome at its peak. Then it will begin to contract. You want to toothpick test it when it just starts this contraction. At this point you may need another 2 or 3 minutes at most. In my experience, if it contracts enough for it to start separating from the edge of the pan, you've waited too long.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:16am
post #4 of 4

I bake that size cake (8x2) at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for an equal time.
Use your nose to know if a cake is done or at least almost doneicon_smile.gif If you can smell that wonderful aroma in the next room it is ready.

.........sometimes it is brown on the sides (a white cake) and sometimes its like a golden yellow, which is right?......

Golden yellow is right or just slightly brown. If you bake at the lower temp your cake should not have a rounded top.....it will bake up very level, and moist.
Have you had your oven check to see that it is working right? It's called 'calabrating' and should be done by a qualified serviceman with special meters. Last I heard the gas &/or electric companies did this service for free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%