First And Probably Last Time Needing Ganache--Easiest Recipe

Baking By cakeflake80 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 1:52am by icer101

cakeflake80 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! Next weekend, I will be doing a cake that requires the chocolate dripping down the sides look. I am assuming that is ganache, right? I have no experience whatsoever with ganache, and I can't imagine I'll ever need it again unless I make this same cake again. I'm looking for the easiest, most fool-proof recipe that tastes good, and also any tips on getting it to drip down the sides but not completely cover the sides. Almost like wax melting down the sides of a candle. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

9 replies
carmijok Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:52am
post #2 of 10

I got this recipe from Southern Living and I use it all the time.

12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Nestle's Toll House)

1 1/2 cups of whipping cream (I found the best tasting to be Land 'o Lakes

3 TBL of butter.

Heat cream until scalded but not boiling. Remove from heat and pour in choc chips. Let sit and then stir to melt all the chips. Whisk in butter until melted.

Let cool to room temp and you're good to go. I like to put it one of those condiment containers so I can drip it around the edges instead of just relying on the drips off the top of the cake. I have several ganache topped cakes in my photos.

Also, if you take the ganache and put it in your mixer with the whisk attachment you can whip it into a delicious chocolate filling-- or even use as a non-crusting frosting. It takes quite a long time to get to soft peaks but it does get there. HTH!

cakeflake80 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:01am
post #3 of 10

Thank you so much! That seems very easy....I don't know why I thought ganache was this overly complicated thing! I looked at your pictures and that is exactly the look I am going for....I'm so happy! Thanks have been very helpful!

carmijok Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #4 of 10

scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:04am
post #5 of 10

Another tip: If the ganche won't pour the way you want because it is too thick, you can thin it with a little corn syrup and vanilla bean paste. I got this from some pros and it works well. Be sure to plan ahead because both of these will sweeten the the ganache. But I have found the added sweetness to taste good.

cakeflake80 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 10

I just thought of one more question! Does the cake need to be kept cold once the ganache is on it? The wedding is Saturday morning and I was planning on doing the ganache over the sides on Friday night. Can I leave it on my counter once that is finished, or do I need to keep it in the fridge?

carmijok Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 10

To be truthful, I don't know. I keep my cakes in the fridge anyway and bring them out a couple of hours before they're cut. The cold to room temp will probably make the ganache have some condensation, but you want it shiny anyway, right? All my ganached covered cakes were kept in the fridge until delivery and they kept their sheen and tasted great.

nikki4199 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 10

I use 1 pound chocolate 2 cups heavy cream. Then you can put a puddle of ganache on the top middle of your cake and then i use a offset and spin the cake around and smooth it to the edges till it starts to drip down the sides as much as you want.

I have left my ganache out as long as it's not super hot in your house you should be fine.

cakeflake80 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much! I'm probably going to just put it in the fridge. The humidity has been really bad this summer, and even though I have central air I want to get it as cool as possible since it's about a 25 minute drive to the reception hall.

icer101 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:52am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%