So Many Things To Learn And I Can't Wait To Learn Them All

Decorating By angelleyes Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm by kneenah

angelleyes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #1 of 10

As u can tell im new here and new to doing cakes.. But I love it. I love to see the smile on the persons face when they see their cake. I just need some patience with all my dumb questions. I dont know the difference in gum paste and sugar paste.. still un sure how to stack tiers.. I want to learn everything and want to do everything.. If u guys have any suggestions on anything I would love to hear it .. I'm soo excited and can't wait to hear all your suggestion..

9 replies
angelleyes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:59am
post #2 of 10

grandmomof1 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:01am
post #3 of 10

You Tube has many free tutorials on just about any topic you need help with. There are some great tutorials at this website:

Good luck. There is a wealth of information on the internet. No one ever learns it all. There is always something new to learn. That is what makes cake decorating so interesting.

VaBelle Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 10

Practice! Practice! Practice! I've been learning by seeing things on here and other websites and books that I like and try them out. There's lots of things I've tried that other people do and they don't work for me so I go back to my old tried and true methods, but I'm still glad I tried them out.

carmijok Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:03am
post #5 of 10

I think one of the best ways to learn is to pick out a cake design you like and try to duplicate it. If your questions are specific to a certain design it's a lot easier to find answers on how to get there, and you learn something new with every cake you do. If it's a tiered cake, you'll learn that technique. If it's got colored fondant on it, you'll learn what it is and how to do it. Pick something you think is challenging...but yet do-able for your skill level.

YouTube has every kind of tutorial there is so be sure and check them out. Have fun!

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 10

Gumpaste is what is often used to make flowers. It is rolled out thin and dries fast.

Sugar paste (called fondant in the states) is an icing that is rolled out and used to cover cakes. It is often used for other decorations as well.

angelleyes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 10

ah I was wondering what sugar paste was lol.. I know fondant but couldn't figure that one out lol.. So what is the best one to make figures out of.. I mixed fondant and gumpast.. Of course they dried hard.. Not sure if that's good or not.. should I of just done them with fondant?

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 10
angelleyes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for the links icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kneenah Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%