Carving The Platform For Topsy Turvy Cakes.

Decorating By KarisCakes Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 2:16pm by all4cake

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:24am
post #1 of 5

HI all. I have the Fat Daddio square topsy turvy pans. They really make topsy turvy cakes easy! I have one dilemma though. To make TT cakes sturdy, you have to carve a level platform in each cake for the next cake to sit on. In the videos I have seen, they stack, frost, and fondant the cakes, before they carve the platform. The problem I have is that when I do that, I end up carving out all of the icing.
Do you think there would be any trouble if I carved the platform BEFORE I frosted and fondanted the cake. Just trying to predetermine any pitfalls.
Thanks!

4 replies
KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:11am
post #2 of 5

Any thoughts, anyone?

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

On this tutorial they cut after crumb coating but before applying fondant... HTH

http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarisCakes

In the videos I have seen, they stack, frost, and fondant the cakes, before they carve the platform. The problem I have is that when I do that, I end up carving out all of the icing.
Do you think there would be any trouble if I carved the platform BEFORE I frosted and fondanted the cake. Just trying to predetermine any pitfalls.
Thanks!

I'd have to see that in progress!

All this time, I thought those pans were for those that use the method that doesn't require cutting a recessed area.

If you're cutting an area to accomodate the tier above, I recommend doing so after filling and crumbcoating them.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 5

I was thinking those were to be assembled somewhat like this,
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=31069548@N02&q=tutorial

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%