.....and Then There's The Just Plain Bizarre Requests

Decorating By LorienSkye Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm by malene541

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #1 of 41

This one is so good I just had to share it:

First, a little background: I just opened my business (legal and insured thanks to all the great info on here!) about 3 months ago. As part of my marketing strategy I became a corporate partner with our city's hospital and offer a 15% discount. One of my goals in doing this was to become their primary supplier for corporate events, departmental celebrations, etc. Today I got my first call for a cake for a departmental celebration, so of course I was pretty happy about it and eager to accommodate the request. Hmmmm....it's for the labor and delivery unit (now you can see an idea of what's coming, right?) They are having a farewell party for one of their OB/GYN's and thought it would be hilarious to have a lifelike placenta cake, complete with fondant umbilical cord and forceps. And the flavor? Red velvet, of course 

40 replies
Cakegirl74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl74 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 41

First, congratulations on the new business.
Second, yuck! It is amazing what people will come up with. Good luck with filling this one.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:16am
post #3 of 41

Oh my! lol Now that is a bizarre request!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #4 of 41

I'm curious, just what is the shape of a placenta? lol

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 41

Awesome! I'd love that, the strange and unusual would be so much fun!

LorienSkye Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 41

Oh yes, I'm totally excited to do this cake as I always love a challenge. My mind is already whirling with possibilities.....like, I think I will brush the finished cake with thinned out piping gel to give it a nice shiny "wet" look. Ooooh gross!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #7 of 41

Wow. Fun though it may be, I don't envy the image research you will have to do to make that cake!!! icon_wink.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:24am
post #8 of 41

Eeew! - but oh, what fun to make!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:55am
post #9 of 41

Now thats a new one lol! Cant wait to see the pics! not sure what a placenta even looks like lol!

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 41

Ok that's disgusting.

When I had my 4th baby via c-section, during the list of questions they asked when I checked in was "Do you want to keep your placenta?". I said, "Um, no. Are you kidding?". They said some people like to keep it. I said "For what??" They said they plant it under a tree, or some people eat it. Apparently it's the only way to eat "meat" without something dying. I declined. Sorry it's gross, just had to share!

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 41

I've heard in a lot of cultures that's what they do with it.

I'm surprised a placenta was what they came up with for an ob/gyn. That's not the first thing that came to my mind as I started to read this, haha.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill

I'm curious, just what is the shape of a placenta? lol

I was thinking the same thing. Ain't it like a blob of slimy matter once the baby has been delivered?

Yeah...that's just plain...disgusting LOL!

Edited to remove link.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 41

@All4cake, that was hideous! I can't believe I clicked on the link. I knew better. I was happily sedated during the births of my children...icon_smile.gif Thankfully. Bet you got some worse pics come up in the search though huh?icon_wink.gif

all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 41

Yeah, there really were some bad ones. That one included the forceps though aaaaaaaand it was the plumpest of the bunch.

OP, although it's gonna be one graphic cake, I am anxious to see THAT in cake form!

ETA: Dang! Sorry ya'll! Those ain't even forceps! I seen metal and my mind went directly to forceps. icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 41

That would be hilarious! The sheen and color on a healthy placenta is luminously iridescent, texturally veiny and shiny. I would get a real kick out of making that. Now there are some badly done placenta cakes where the cord looks weak and thin, so you'd have to do some studying to make it healthy and thick looking and get the colors right.
Unless you are weak stomached, go for it and have fun with it.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #16 of 41

All I have to say, is look at KoryAK's photo gallery and you will never look at an anatomy cake the same way again.

I showed it to DH and I thought he was going to hurl. LOL!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorienSkye

This one is so good I just had to share it:

First, a little background: I just opened my business (legal and insured thanks to all the great info on here!) about 3 months ago. As part of my marketing strategy I became a corporate partner with our city's hospital and offer a 15% discount. One of my goals in doing this was to become their primary supplier for corporate events, departmental celebrations, etc. Today I got my first call for a cake for a departmental celebration, so of course I was pretty happy about it and eager to accommodate the request. Hmmmm....it's for the labor and delivery unit (now you can see an idea of what's coming, right?) They are having a farewell party for one of their OB/GYN's and thought it would be hilarious to have a lifelike placenta cake, complete with fondant umbilical cord and forceps. And the flavor? Red velvet, of course 

You know a while back someone did post a "baby belly" cake -- with the belly part cut open and the fetus inside. Honestly, it was the most disturbing cake I've ever seen. I don't know who did it (sometimes when people put the keywords in, they forget to put commas between them so the keywords don't work properly) and I've not been able to find it since (thankfully!) Hilarious? Well maybe to someone who isn't wired right. Disturbing? You betcha!! icon_rolleyes.gif

myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 41

Baby bump cakes disturb me anyway.... And cakes featuring babies.....ya shouldn't eat that stuff...:/

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

That would be hilarious! The sheen and color on a healthy placenta is luminously iridescent, texturally veiny and shiny. I would get a real kick out of making that. Now there are some badly done placenta cakes where the cord looks weak and thin, so you'd have to do some studying to make it healthy and thick looking and get the colors right.
Unless you are weak stomached, go for it and have fun with it.

Aaaaand you win best post so far of the thread. icon_biggrin.gif

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 41

I have always thought baby bump cakes were weird. Something about that just ain't right.

all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

You know a while back someone did post a "baby belly" cake -- with the belly part cut open and the fetus inside. Honestly, it was the most disturbing cake I've ever seen. I don't know who did it (sometimes when people put the keywords in, they forget to put commas between them so the keywords don't work properly) and I've not been able to find it since (thankfully!) Hilarious? Well maybe to someone who isn't wired right. Disturbing? You betcha!! icon_rolleyes.gif

She actually removed the image because so many people were disturbed by it and couldn't see the actual intent of it which was, to convey what was goin' on in there kinda like looking into the window of an oven. It really was an artistic piece.

LorienSkye Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:43pm
post #22 of 41

The Cake is for Friday so stay tuned and I'll post pics. I'm seriously thinking I may have to nominate myself to cakewrecks for this one! Jen features lots of the disturbing baby bump cakes, but I don't think I've seen a placenta make an appearance on there yet!

myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #23 of 41

Nothing wrong with an artistic piece showing a beautiful baby bump and/or baby. The thing that's wrong about them is when the cutting begins. Just does something to my stomach, I can't take it =/ observe the following if you dare and disagree with me if you canicon_smile.gif
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-cake-gets-cut-down-to-size.html

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorienSkye

The Cake is for Friday so stay tuned and I'll post pics. I'm seriously thinking I may have to nominate myself to cakewrecks for this one! Jen features lots of the disturbing baby bump cakes, but I don't think I've seen a placenta make an appearance on there yet!

I think the closest was that Twilight cake - it was a belly cake with a baby vampire eating it's way out. It was really gory, really weird, and hella funny to anyone that gets the reference.

icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:23pm
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

Nothing wrong with an artistic piece showing a beautiful baby bump and/or baby. The thing that's wrong about them is when the cutting begins. Just does something to my stomach, I can't take it =/ observe the following if you dare and disagree with me if you canicon_smile.gif
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-cake-gets-cut-down-to-size.html

Agggghhh, I could not stand the thought of cutting a baby cake, no way!!!...I totally adore babies and just thinking of cutting one, yeah even if I know is just cake, I think is disturbing. I've done cakes with tiny fondant babies as toppers and I know all the mothers keep the baby as a keepsake and for some reason that makes me happy icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #26 of 41
Quote:

Baby bump cakes disturb me anyway.... And cakes featuring babies.....ya shouldn't eat that stuff...:/

I couldn't agree more!! Something weird about eating a pregnant stomach or a whole baby that seems disgusting to me. Those belly cakes look cute...but I wouldnt eat one. Too creepy.

Really????? ~~> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/Sz18toqyrMI/AAAAAAAAGZk/3yxqL6u7brE/s400/tiffany%2Bd.lw.belly%2Bbirth.jpg

zacl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zacl01 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #27 of 41

I work in pathology and see placentas up close and personal everyday. On that note I can see how this may be disgusting to most people but the L&D staff will get a kick out of it and find a placenta cake hilarious!

I haven't worked with gummy stuff yet (or maybe just gelatin) but a thin sheet of clear gummy would give it a very disgusting and real appearance. Good luck and don't forget the tri-vascular umbilical cord! icon_wink.gif

myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:08pm
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

Quote:

I couldn't agree more!! Something weird about eating a pregnant stomach or a whole baby that seems disgusting to me. Those belly cakes look cute...but I wouldnt eat one. Too creepy.

Really????? ~~> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/Sz18toqyrMI/AAAAAAAAGZk/3yxqL6u7brE/s400/tiffany%2Bd.lw.belly%2Bbirth.jpg

that's awful! how about the poor grandma who was probably at the shower??icon_smile.gif

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:39pm
post #29 of 41

What a weird cake. I guess youd have to be a professional in that field to really see the humor in it. Id just be grossed out.

A gal on another message board I used to post on had her placenta encapsulated http://www.vivantemidwifery.com/placenta.html

She showed pictures of it from the start when it was still a placenta, then the boiling down, then the baking etc etc. I remember her saying her house smelled like Thanksgiving day. It was the weirdest thing Ive ever seen in my life.

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

Quote:

Holy crap! That is terrible. Why would someone want that at their baby shower?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%