Smbc

Baking By lyndim Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 10:09am by scp1127

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #1 of 6

I finally tried to make SMBC, but not sure what went wrong. When I was cooking the sugar and egg whites the eggs cooked! There were pieces of cooked egg whites in my frosting icon_cry.gif It tasted good but I couldn't use it. It also smelled like cooked eggs. Needless to say I threw the whole batch away icon_cry.gif Does anyone have any suggestions?

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:19am
post #2 of 6

Your water was boiling to high. You have to let it simmer and keep whisking it. That is what i do. I have had the egg scramble before and realized the water was boiling. No problem since. On youtube there is a decorator,Dyann, i think, showing how to make it. I use her tutorial now to make it. hth

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Your water was boiling to high. You have to let it simmer and keep whisking it. That is what i do. I have had the egg scramble before and realized the water was boiling. No problem since. On youtube there is a decorator,Dyann, i think, showing how to make it. I use her tutorial now to make it. hth

I agree. The heat was too high, the bowl was touching the water, and/or you weren't whisking fast enough. Whenever I make SMBC, my arm feels like it is going to fall off by the time it is ready to be placed on the mixer for phase II.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:44am
post #4 of 6

Actually I keep my water on a rolling boil, about medium high. Otherwise I would be forever getting it to 165.

The two main things is not to have too much water to let it touch the bottom of the bowl and to keep ti moving. Whisking constantly is an absolute must.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:05am
post #5 of 6

icer101, just checked out the video from Dyann, thanks. I must let you all know that I heated up the egg whites and sugar directely on the stove, I didn't use a double boiler, icon_redface.gif I'm so embarrassed! Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:09am
post #6 of 6

I agree with Linda. I want it to hurry to the right temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%