Colouring Help Please?

Decorating By markandjacksmum Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 1:04am by markandjacksmum

markandjacksmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markandjacksmum Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 3

I'm an amatuer cake decorator - who started out by trying to make some special cakes for my own kids. A few yrs later a guests and friends and family are now placing orders for my cakes - which I don't mind doing - but I'm having all kinds of 'fun' learning about colouring...
I recently went to start work on the latest cake and was mortified to find my Bakers Preferred pastes have dried out in the pot! Is this because I don't use them often enough?

Is there a range of 'all in one' style colourings - ie that can be used to colour fondant AND paint on features? Or do I need a combination of gels/pastes and lustre dusts?

If only I could find colour kits - with everything you need in all colours right at hand....

2 replies
joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:55am
post #2 of 3

I have revived semi-dried out Wilton gel colors with a few drops of glycerin. I use Wilton gel or preferably Americolor gels for coloring fondant and icings AND I use it for painting on fondant thinned with a little vodka.
There is a product called Crystal Colors you might want to look into, though. Google those to see if that is something you might be interested in. HTH. thumbs_up.gif

markandjacksmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markandjacksmum Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:04am
post #3 of 3

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif
Will have to buy some Glycerin and see if I can revive mine - got quite a few cakes to do and in a small area I have to mail order.
Will investigate the Americolor gel too as well as Crystal Colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%