Help With Frozen Buttercream Transfer!!!

Decorating By ANGELAKAY264 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 3:00pm by Dani1081

ANGELAKAY264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELAKAY264 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:19am
post #1 of 11

I usually work with fondant, but for a specific cake ordered I figured I could do a picture of Elvis. I've decided to go with the frozen buttercream transfer. I followed all directions to a T and the transfer actually worked wonderful expect for the detailing. I used the Wilton's black icing for the outline and small details on the face but it was really hard to get precise lines. Any recommendations on which tip to use or which icing to use for this? Of course I picked the most difficult picture with a ton of detail! Also on the transfer I could see the lines where I filled the picture in, does this melt and blend a little after sitting? Anyone with tips/helps would be greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:35am
post #2 of 11

I usually just use my own buttercream for FBCT. When I have little amounts of various colors, I put it into a container that I keep in the freezer. I find it's easier to make black, when it's already almost there from blending all the colors.

Using your own buttercream, you can thin it as much as you need and use a #1 or #2 tip for those fine details. After you finish your transfer and put it on the cake, let it thaw, and then you can smooth it with Viva towels. Just don't use firm pressure, because you can push the design around (been there, done that).

I've got a few in my photos, so you can see how they've turned out icon_smile.gif

ANGELAKAY264 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:10am
post #3 of 11

that Wilton icing is extremely thick!! Thank you so much for the pointers!! When it softens up a little do the lines fill in a little from the big areas that you filled in? You can almost see perfect lines that are frozen on the jacket part. Thanks again!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:26am
post #4 of 11

I have the same problem with the lines of piping being obvious in the areas that I fill in. Anyone have any suggestions for us? Do we need to just thin out that icing before we fill in areas? I'm afraid to get it too thin and it be a gooey mess on the cake. . . .. I tried the Viva method to smooth out the lines, but it just widens them out and actually makes them MORE noticible, plus distorts the picture. Any suggestions?

pettmybunny Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:56am
post #5 of 11

I viva method all my buttercream transfers. Here's links to a few...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004689

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1252533

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1252536

There are more transfers on my facebook business page at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.215285305151678.64792.215271001819775&l=990ac07152&type=1

Wait until your transfer is completely thawed on the top of the cake. And lightly crusted. Use a light touch with a warm hand icon_smile.gif

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 11

That's pretty neat, but how do you keep it from sticking to the wax paper? or do you use parchment?

The few times I've tried FBCT my transfer is thick or if I use #1 or #2 for details they usually break when I put them on the cake icon_cry.gif . do you put them on the cake and let them come to room temp before Viva smoothing them?

Thanks

ANGELAKAY264 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 11

I also had some of my lines break even with the wilton black icing. I did post a picture of the Elvis FBCT I did last night. I haven't used it yet and may try it again. Thanks for the links and your cakes look awesome! I don't see any error on yours! Do you always use buttercream icing or does piping gel work? Thanks!

pettmybunny Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 11

KodiSnip, the transfer should stick (somewhat) to the waxed paper. It allows you to move it onto the cake and reposition it easily. After you get it where you want it, you just peel the waxed paper back.

My transfers are thick as well, what with the design and the extra frosting backing... But, I crumb coat my cake (a little thicker than normal) and I put the transfer on that. Then, I smooth frosting right up to the transfer so it's all level. I frost the sides of the cake, and let everything sit for about half an hour to an hour, testing every 15 minutes on whether it is thawed and crusted or not.

After it is all thawed and crusted, I viva the whole cake, going over the transfer last of all. The transfer must be thawed and crusted, or it will stick to the Viva towel (yup, I've been in a hurry before and had that happen too).

Angela, I've had my whole transfer crack once or twice. In fact, it happened this past weekend when I did a Justin Bieber FBCT. I just place it as close together as I can when I put it on the cake, and when it thaws and I viva it, you can't hardly tell. I can, because I know where it was cracked, but the average person doesn't notice. I think you'll find that if you use a less thick frosting for the lines (I'm assuming it's the black Wilton stuff that cracked) you won't have as much problem with it cracking.

pettmybunny Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 11

Angela, I didn't notice the last question about the piping gel or the buttercream. I only ever use buttercream, I think the gel would just make it harder to smooth the picture when you're done.

PeacocksStopBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeacocksStopBakery Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 11

I use wax paper and put a thin layer of shortening on it so that it won't stick. Try flipping the image upside down, freezing the transfer while on the cake and then peeling off when set (kind of like a kid's tattoo). The black outlines will be more prominent from the bottom and the transfer is flat. I then go over the outside lines to blend into the cake. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 11

Pettmybunny, I wondered how you got your transfers level with the frosting on your cakes! They look really good! I think I would have a heck of a time trying to frost around mine. . .I have a hard enough time frosting a smooth cake in a straight line! Anyway, thanks for all the help! Awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%