Bubbled Buttercream

Decorating By JenLyn902 Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 1:37am by JenLyn902

JenLyn902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLyn902 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 4

I've been having trouble with my buttercream bubbling off of the cake if it is left out of the fridge for a while. I know it's hot, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is my recipe-1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 cups powdered sugar, and approx. 3 tsp. of milk. I have decided to switch from milk to water just to see if that helps, but I wondered if anyone else has this problem. Thank you!

3 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 4

Only one time and it was when I decided to refrigerate after I applied the crumbcoat to firm it up. I then applied the finish coat of bc to a cold cake and when the cake came to room temperature the gases released from the cake started making the bc blowout in areas.

So I stopped refrigerating in between the crumbcoat and final coat of icing and it never happened again.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 4

I can't find the thread to direct you to it, but at some stage Leah_S said (I believe in one of her Friday night threads) that she was taught in pastry school that after you've put your icing on, slide your spatula underneath the cake and lift it up just a little bit, just enough to 'break the seal'. She says she never got air bubbles under her buttercream after that.

I hope I didn't miss anything, you might want to search through her friday night threads to see if you can find it yourself in case I did miss something.

JenLyn902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLyn902 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:37am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for the tips! Cakestyles, that is exactly what I do. I always refrigerate after the crumb coat! I have 2 wedding cakes coming up and I would hate to see that happen again. Glad to know this. And Zespri, I will look up Leah_S threads, too. Thank you both again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%