Help! How Much Batter For A 16X22" Pan???

Baking By DessertsByLauren Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 3:20am by DessertsByLauren

DessertsByLauren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertsByLauren Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone! I really need some help here! I'm planning to bake my daughters Mickey themed cake. It's going to be 2 tiers, 4 layers each and I decided to go out and get a larger sheet pan so I can cut my baking time in half.

I got 2 16x22" pans so I only have to bake 4 cakes and then I have cake rings to cut the 8" and 10" cakes out. I plan to use Ina's chocolate cake recipe (which makes 2- 8" cakes) and a classic yellow cake (also makes 2- 8" cakes). I've baked the yellow before in a quarter sheet pan with no problems. If anything, it was a little too much batter. But I don't know if it's enough for this larger size.

icon_cry.gif Please help!!!! I've been Googling all afternoon and I can't find anything! Thanks!!!

7 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 8

Here's Wilton's chart. It lists a 14 x 22 pan needs 16cups of batter, so you'll need a bit more than that for the larger 16x22

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertsByLauren

I got 2 16x22" pans so I only have to bake 4 cakes and then I have cake rings to cut the 8" and 10" cakes out.

If you torte the cakes you should only need to bake 2 of each size. For example, If I'm baking a 2 tiered cake I bake 4 layers (2 of each size) and I torte each layer so that I end up with 4 layers of each size cake.

I think if you bake 4- 16x22's you'll have a lot of wasted cake.

Do you have 8" and 10" pans? I'd bake 2-8" layers and 2-10" layers, torte them (slice in half) fill and ice. You'll end up with 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling for each tier.

It's a lot less baking than trying to bake 4 large sheet cakes, since most people can bake 2 of each of these sizes at a time.

HTH

DessertsByLauren Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the info about the pan size. I was on Wilton and I didn't even think to look at what it said for smaller pans, even slightly smaller. I just kept looking up 16x22. lol

If the cake comes out thick enough, I can definitely tort it. But believe me, I never have wasted cake! I make cake balls and pop them in the freezer in vacuum sealed bags! They last a really long time and never get freezer burned in the food saver bags!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #5 of 8

Before you fill the pan, did you make sure it fits in your oven? icon_smile.gif

DessertsByLauren Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

LOL Yes! I measured my oven before I bought the pan! It fits!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Quote:

Great!

Wouldn't have been the first time that little detail was overlooked. icon_wink.gif

DessertsByLauren Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:20am
post #8 of 8
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great!

Wouldn't have been the first time that little detail was overlooked. icon_wink.gif

LOL I believe it! I almost did that a few years back! I was going to buy a 20" round pan to make a roulette cake but figured i'd measure the oven first... just in case. Turned out, it wouldn't have been deep enough. LOL So glad I thought to measure it first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%