I Cant Give These Away!! T-T

Baking By gladysrdz24 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 9:57pm by kimbordeaux

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 13

I made some pins colada cupcakes using this recipe.
http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/02/pina-colada-cupcakes.html

They looked like a great recipe but mine came out gummy and floury tasting. Why??? They were gonna be a gift but I can't give something that I don't like. Any suggestions on a new recipe or what I did wrong. I didn't substitute anything or change any of the measurements. Thanks. [/quote]

12 replies
gladysrdz24 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 13

Please?

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 13

I don't know any other recipes but you could do a search. That seems like alot of wet ingredients for the amount of flour though. Maybe there is a typo in the recipe?

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 13

There is a lot of moisture going on in that recipe. Did you drain the pineapple before you mixed it in? If you don't drain it I would skip the pineapple juice next time. I make a pineapple cake that is basically only flour, sugar, and crushed pineapple (undrained) and it is plenty moist. You might try adding a little more flour or cut back the liquid. HTH

gladysrdz24 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 13

Should I use a box mix? Maybe that would be more foolproof?

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 13

Here's a recipe for pina colada cupcakes that uses a box mix:

http://confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/2011/07/pina-colada-cupcakes-recipe/

Might be a bit more foolproof because I agree with others, there does seem to be a lot of liquid in that recipe.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 13

The description on the site says they are more than just moist, they are wet. Someone else wrote about theirs turning out wobbly, and they were told to add more flour. A mix is pretty foolproof but you can find another scratch recipe that seems to have a better dry/flour to liquid ratio.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 13

I would leave that recipe alone...for now, anyway.

Would you consider a coconut cake with a pineapple filling.

I have tried, and love this coconut cake recipe,
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Layer-Cake-102696

I JUST found this one,
http://www.restlesschipotle.com/2011/07/pina-colada-cupcake-recipe/

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 13

I tried to find a Pina Colada recipe because that is my favorite drink but never found a recipe that I liked. So one night as me and my besties were mixing some drinks I looked at the Bacardi mixer and said "Hey!, I'm putting this in a cake!" And this is what I came up with...

Pina Colada cupcakes
1 box DH White cake mix
1 cup All-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 container Barcardi Pina Colada mix 10 0z.
3 eggs
2 Pina Colada yogurts
1 ½ tbsp rum flavor
1/3 cup water

I bake @ 325 for 20+ mins. My oven temps vary. I bake until the tops start to turn golden. The toothpick test doesnt work on these. The pick will come out clean but the next day these will be too moist. I top these with pineapple buttercream and sprinkle with some shredded coconut. HTH. If you try this recipe let me know how they turn out for you. These are a big hit @ my shop. I find recipe a bit too moist but customers say they love it.

gladysrdz24 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 13

Thxs for recipe. The yogurt should be regular kind right? Not smoothie kind?

kimbordeaux Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:13am
post #11 of 13

Gladysrdz,
The yogurt I use is by Yoplait. I buy the Original. Pina Colada flavor. Not the Light.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 13

Kim, do you think this recipe would translate to a stacked cake? I have a request for one tier of a two tiered cake to be pina colada and I sure hope your recipe would work

kimbordeaux Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 13

Southerncross,
Hey, where are you located in SC? I haven't tried to make this into a cake yet. I keep things simple when offering cakes because most of what I sell are sculpted cakes and I have to use pound cake or WASC recipes for those. It is a super moist recipe. I keep working with water ratio hoping to get it right. If you try it let me know! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%