Cream Cheese Icing Good For Decorating As Well

Baking By roxygoar Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 1:15pm by rpaige

roxygoar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 8

i am looking for a good cream cheese icing that would stand up well to decorate the cakes as well..... i am trying out a whole bunch of recipes as i want to try and sell cakes but i am having trouble finding a cream cheese icing that is not too soft or not vey cream cheesy!!! please send me any good recipes you know of....... icon_smile.gif thanks so much in advance!

7 replies
splymale Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 8

When I have a cake with cream cheese icing, I always decorate with buttercream.
But here's the recipe I use for cream cheese icing:
4 c powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 package cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
Good luck!

fedra Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 8

I am so glad I found this thread! I have a cream cheese wedding cake in September and need to find a good icing. Thanks!

roxygoar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:26am
post #4 of 8

splymale... do you not have any trouble with it being too soft to pipe or decorate your cake with this recipe??? it is very close to the one i made ...the recipe i took from the cake boss web site...i thought it tasted wonderful but was wayyyy too soft to even think of putting it in a bag to decorate with... the only difference is a Tbsp of vanilla instead of tsp.... what do you do when you make it so it's not too soft? do you refrigerate it first? and how does it keep?
thanks,

msladybug Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:44am
post #5 of 8

This is the one I use and it crusts so it can be smoothed very well. I always get so many compliments on it.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

splymale Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

roxy, i decorate with buttercream when I use cream cheese icing.
If it is very hot & humid out and is not setting, i throw it in the fridge periodically while I'm working on it.

Occther Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 8

Lorann oils makes a cheesecake flavoring. You could ice with cream cheese and add cheesecake flavoring to the buttercream for decorations.

rpaige Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 8

msladybug, I have used that recipe - keeping in mind that I'm a bit inexperienced - it is always soft and I end up with a series of cracks like a broken winshield - but tasted very good. Definitely a family favorite. There was crusting on a very thin top layer but it was like a thicker pudding underneath. As soon as I put any fondant decorations on top it was not very attractive. Refrigerating did help in the short term but as soon as it started warming to room temp, I had condensation and the same softening over and over.

I did go to the bc for any piping or decorating but I believe mine would have just flowed off the side of the cake if it had been anything but sheet cakes.

Would more ps make a difference? Frosting in a thinner layer? Any thoughts on corrections I could make to use more often? Maybe this would help the OP as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%