Store Cupcakes For 4 Days?

Baking By Jenniferc03 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 1:25am by zespri

Jenniferc03 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not sure if this is the best section to ask, but....

My sisters good friend would like cupcakes for her engagement party. I am going out of town that same weekend. I would have to make/frost them by Thursday. Her party is Sunday. If they are in plastic containers, can they be stored in the fridge from Thursday night until Sunday morning? Is there a better way? Or should I just tell her I can't do them?

Thanks for any input.

4 replies
cakestyles Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 5

My experience with cupcakes is eat them sooner rather than later.

Usually the issue I have with cupcakes that are more than a couple of days old, is that the paper seems to suck all of the moisture out of the cupcake.

I always make them as close to pickup as I can, so if this is a paying client I would have to pass on the order.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 5

I have had success with freezing cupcakes only a few minutes out of the oven (yes, still warm) in freezer bags with most of the air sucked out for a couple of days. When I'm ready to frost (the day of delivery), I pull them out and frost/decorate them, then send them on their way.

I have noticed that if the cupcakes are still warm when put in the freezer, they end up being more moist than when I have put them in the freezer after they have completely cooled.

If it makes a difference, I bake from scratch.

HTH

heartsnsync Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:35am
post #4 of 5

Freezing the cupcakes could be you solution. However, when freezing cupcakes and defrosting them the problem that you would very well run into is that the extra moisture from the cakes defrosting will make the cupcake wrappers loosen up. One way to fix this is if the wrappers do loosen up just place the cakes into new cupcake wrappers and frost. I purposefully did this recently for a double decker cupcake I had created.

zespri Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:25am
post #5 of 5

Freezing works well in my experience too. Or else make mud-cakes, I guess the real chocolate in them keeps them moist for longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%