Isomalt, I Did A Search But Didn't Find Anything. :*(

Sugar Work By Cakeuhlicious Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm by JenniferMI

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I read a thread here recently on sugar gems and did a little research. I decided this would be a cool idea for a cake I'm making at the end of this month.

I've never worked with Isomalt before but I figured I would buy some and play with it. I did read the extra tips in the "sugar bottle" tutorial, which looked helpful. My questions are:

1. At what point in the cooking stage do you color your isomalt?

2. Can I use my standard gel colors that I use for baking or are there special colors?

3. Can you use extracts to add flavor to it??

4. I've seen the videos of it being made on the stove...can you make it in the microwave?

I've looked around for "how to" videos just on how to cook it, but I couldnt find many instructional videos, most are how to use it once it is already made. Any info/recommendations would be great icon_smile.gif

4 replies
myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 5

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/isomalt.htm See if this helps. I always initially did it on the stove then reheated as needed in the microwave when pulling. You have to get it to a certain temp (320F~155C) to use.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 5

didn't know we couldn't do websites =/ ....I just did a search for isomalt information

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 5

I got this from fancy flours . com

Recipe for sugar free Isomalt Hard Candy
YIELD: Fills approximately 4 tray molds of .75" sized cavities.

1 cup Isomalt
1/3 cup distilled water (we recommend distilled water because hard water will cause the coloration to change with some food colors)
Gel food coloring as desired
Candy Thermometer

Prepare your molds by spraying them with Pam or lightly oiling them. Combine Isomalt and water in a 1 quart heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until crystals are dissolved. Dip a pastry brush in water and wash down the sides to prevent crystallizing. Insert a candy thermometer to monitor temperature. You may have to wash down the sides with water one or two more times. When the mixture reaches 250 degrees, add your food coloring. You may have to experiment to get the exact color you want. As a guideline, we use 3 drops of Super Red food coloring to get a deep ruby coloring and a scant half drop of pink for our pale pink jewels. Allow the temperature to reach 315 degrees and remove the pan from the heat. Please note, the syrup is VERY HOT so you should take precautions to prevent burns. For easier pouring into your candy molds, we recommend pouring the hot syrup mixture into a one or two cup Pyrex measuring cup. Pour hot syrup into molds and allow to harden 10 minutes. Unmold onto waxed paper. If the weather is humid, wrap in candy bags to prevent the candy from becoming cloudy.

HTH

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 5

Hi!

I think the step by step tutorial in my last newsletter would REALLY help you. I'm happy to pass that along to you. Just PM me. I use the isomalt stick which are SUPER easy to use and no thermometer needed, just a microwave.

Jennifer Dontz icon_smile.gif
Sugar Delites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%