Help With Ganache

Baking By hchampagne Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 10:57pm by hchampagne

hchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hchampagne Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake saturday for my nephew's birthday and will be filling it with chocolate ganache. How far in advance can I make the ganache and what is the best way to store it? I bought the wilton melting chocolate that is for the chocolate fountains; it is my first time making ganache and I figure this would be a good chocolate to use being as how it melts really easy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
jamsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamsie Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:44am
post #2 of 5

I've never used the Wilton chocolate melts for ganache; I wouldn't think that it would have the same flavor a regular ganache would have. Please post how it turns out.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:57am
post #3 of 5

If my memory is correct, the melting chocolate for fountains won't work. It's made to melt and flow easily. You need to use either candy melts, chocolate chips, or real chocolate.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:08am
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't use anything but real chocolate for ganache. even chocolate chips work! but for storing, i store in the fridge covered with saran wrap directly on the surface. let it come up to room tip if youre going to whip it or melt it in the microwave(30 second intervals) if you're going to pour it. you can easily make it now for saturday as long as your cream doesn't expire before then.

hchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hchampagne Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for telling me the melting chocolate for fountains don't work! I have time to bring it back icon_smile.gif My cream doesn't expire before Saturday; is it safe for me to fill the cakes Friday night and let them sit out? I read somewhere it can be stored at room temp for up to 2 days.. is that true?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%