So Close To Buying The Silhouette Cutter...good Idea Or Bad?

Decorating By divinecc Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 5:32pm by divinecc

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 4

I just can't make up my mind wether or not it is worth it to buy the silhouette cutter. icon_confused.gif I can get it for a pretty good deal right now, but I am nervous I won't use it enough to make it worth while or that it will be hard to use.

What have your experiences been with the silhouette? Do you use it a lot?

Thanks for your feedback.

3 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 4

I guess it would depend on what you are looking for it to do for you. I use mine a lot. I do mostly cookies and cupcakes. I use it to cut icing sheets for eis to put on the cookies. I also use it for cookie bag toppers and cupcake wrappers. I took Linda McClures gum paste class and have used it to cut gum paste.

If you want to cut gum paste, you do need Linda's kit with the modified blade holder, the blades and blade holder that comes with it will not work, don't waste your time trying to make it work.

You do not need additional software or cartridges for the silhouette, their new software studio is quite nice. And I love the print and cut feature. You do have to print on a regular printer for the toppers and cc wrappers and with an edible ink printer for the icing sheets, and the silhouette cuts the image.

Sorry for the book, I really do like my silhouette.

Links for some examples:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1844088
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1800056

maybelline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybelline Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 4

I received my Silhouette SD last week and I am in LOVVVE. I am not using it for gum paste or anything though. I have been using it for crafting and am waiting on some supplies I ordered to arrive so I can experiment some more.

It is so much better than I imagined. I am loving making cupcake toppers with it and will be experimenting with cc wrappers too.

What are you thinking you will use it for mostly?

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies! I want to use it mostly with gumpaste. Like damask patterns and lettering. I also think it would be wonderful for cupcake wrappers icon_smile.gif Is it pretty user friendly as far as the software, I am not as computer savvy as most....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%