Filling My Cake - Ganache On Top Or Bottom Of Filling?

Decorating By MellieC Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 4:45pm by PDXSweetTreats

MellieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MellieC Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.
Still a newbie to all this...
When filling my cake, do I put the ganache on top or bottom of the filling?
Also, if I add fruit (on top/or bottom of the filling and ganche) which order do I put them in (ganache, filling and fruit)
Is it too much to be putting it when filling a cake?
I look at it now and it looks like a lot.
This is probably a very easy question for most of you...

Thanks a buddle!

MelliC from Montreal

5 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

Well, I've never used it, but on the shows that I've seen them use it, they put it on top of the filling. I'm curious to see what the experienced say... Can the experienced also say if a cake with gananche inside it or outside of it has to be refrigerated?

Thanks.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 6

I'm confused on why you want ganache, fruit and filling all in the same 'spot' on a cake? Almost seems like over kill to me. But I could be wrong? Hopefully someone that has done it can give you some insight.

SC, I've read that ganache is safe to leave out.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:56am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieC

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.
Still a newbie to all this...
When filling my cake, do I put the ganache on top or bottom of the filling?
Also, if I add fruit (on top/or bottom of the filling and ganche) which order do I put them in (ganache, filling and fruit)
Is it too much to be putting it when filling a cake?
I look at it now and it looks like a lot.
This is probably a very easy question for most of you...

Thanks a buddle!

MelliC from Montreal

MelliC, ganache can be used as a filling by itself, as an outer coating (as in the icing on the cake), or as the coating under fondant. I agree w/TexasSugar that it would be a little overwhelming to have the ganache, filling and fruit all together. Perhaps if you explain what type of filling and fruit you're using, someone can better help you.

HTH.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:50am
post #5 of 6

I am a cookbook addict and I think I have almost every book by the major bakers today. This is a common trend.

MellieC, I have seen it used on four layer cakes. The most popular seems to be a thin layer of ganache that does not go down the sides of the cake. Level your cake, cover with the ganache, let it set or even chill it. Then add your buttercream and fruit. The key, just like a jam layer, is to not use it on every layer, maybe above the first and third layers. If you use it first, you can get that perfect line of chocolate that looks so nice.

This sounds like a great idea to add to a strawberry cake. Good luck. It will be great.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 6

Scp, I hadn't heard of that -- good stuff! Thanks for sharing! : )

(It's always fun to see what others are doing, and now I have something new to try.) thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%