Pillar And Separator Plate Construction

Decorating By sugarprincess Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm by CWR41

sugarprincess Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 5

I have decided to use this type of construction for a wedding cake in September because the bride wants the tiers separated with columns to match the venue decore. The tiers will be separated by 5" pillars.

My question is....when I am assembling the cake, are the cake layers placed directly on the separator plates to be iced, or are they placed on cake drums to be iced and then placed on the separator plates when I assemble the cake at the reception hall.

Sorry if this is a silly question. This is my first wedding cake and it for a co-worker. I just want everything to go smoothly...or as smoothly as possible.

4 replies
MissLisa Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 5

I place the cakes on a drum (or foamboard) and then place them onto the separator plates. You don't need to wait until you get to the hall to put the cakes onto the plates, it can be done in advance and the bottom border decorating completed.

You can even put the lower separator plate in place before you get to the hall. The less decorating and set up you have there the better.

I ice my cakes, insert the necessary dowels and put the separator plate in place and then decorate the cake (this is for buttercream of course) Obviously, if it's a cake covered in fondant you would want to cover the cake and then put in the dowels and then the plate.

Hope that helps!

dreamacres Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 5

I always put the cake on a cake circle, put icing between the cake plate and the seperator plate. I personally dowel and put the top plate and pillars on the second, third, etc. tiers and transport. Good luck

sugarprincess Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarprincess

My question is....when I am assembling the cake, are the cake layers placed directly on the separator plates to be iced, or are they placed on cake drums to be iced and then placed on the separator plates when I assemble the cake at the reception hall.

You can ice them directly on the separator plates, but if you're using reuseable plates that you've charged a deposit for, it would be best for each cake to be on its own board so that your plates don't get knife score marks on them from the serving process.

This might help:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/separator-plate-cake-construction.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%