How Much Should I Charge?! :(

Decorating By laurajo1218 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm by laurajo1218

laurajo1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurajo1218 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 10

I have another cake order for this cake (almost exactly the same) how much should I charge? Could I do anything to make it more cost effective? Make it look better?

Thank you for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 10

Cost is dependent on how many servings. Most people charge a certain
$ amount/serving. My only suggestion would be to make the bed/bear more to scale (the bear is MUCH bigger than the bed).

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 10

$ amount/serving. My only suggestion would be to make the bed/bear more to scale (the bear is MUCH bigger than the bed).

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

How much did the ingredients cost for that cake, and how many total hours did you spend on it? What kind of overhead do you have (insurance, license fees, etc)?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 10

Sharing a cake pricing matrix in excel.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-724514-.html

Yes, that bear is huge. Maybe make it smaller, or the bed larger.

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 10

i don't know if this was how you presented the cake, but you could put it on a covered board to make it look even better. the size of the bear you could as the previous poster suggested, reduce, which could make things quicker and a little easier, although if the client has already seen this maybe they will expect an exact replica.

laurajo1218 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

I use a build a bear cake pan so that little guy is the size he's gonna be. Should I maybe put the sheet cake on some type of Pedestal to make it higher up? It needs to be longer and wider too?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 10

It looks like the bear could sleep on that bed if you were to set him lying down...so it's not out of this world huge...lol. Now that we know he's made of cake and has to stay that size, and maybe you can't make the bed bigger because that's the size the sheet cake should stay at too, maybe a way to make it better would be to make the headboard taller. It might give the illusion of bigger.

And yes, you could do something with the board. If you don't cover it altogether and want to leave it white, perhaps a little rug would be nice?

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

I love the rug idea, that would be really cute!

laurajo1218 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

It looks like the bear could sleep on that bed if you were to set him lying down...so it's not out of this world huge...lol. Now that we know he's made of cake and has to stay that size, and maybe you can't make the bed bigger because that's the size the sheet cake should stay at too, maybe a way to make it better would be to make the headboard taller. It might give the illusion of bigger.

And yes, you could do something with the board. If you don't cover it altogether and want to leave it white, perhaps a little rug would be nice?

The rug idea is GREAT!
I will try a larger headboard this next time. Thank you for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%