Has Staten Island Cakes Been Cancelled Already???

Lounge By Jeff_Arnett Updated 4 Jan 2012 , 11:59am by jeartist

Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #1 of 25

There's hasn't been a new episode, or even a rerun, in it's time slot the past two weeks. Wonder if it's already bit the dust?

24 replies
Elcee Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #2 of 25

One can hope... icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:48am
post #3 of 25

Probably - have you SEEN that show? Ugh.

AnotherCaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:00am
post #4 of 25

Embarassing, is the description I give it.

cheatize Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 25

I saw it last week on cable in our vacation rental. It was on after Cupcake Girls.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Probably - have you SEEN that show? Ugh.

First epidose was bad, second was a bit better, then the third one clinched it. It should not be called a cake show...it should be described as a reality/drama show set against the backdrop of a cake shop.

Can't these people understand we just want to see a show about making cakes....not family drama!

AnotherCaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:26am
post #7 of 25

I lost any interest/respect the second I saw him shove 40 something dowels into a three tiered cake on a different show.

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 25

I've seen reruns many times. Not the best for teaching us anything for sure. Another show that puts too much emphsis on family drama icon_sad.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

I lost any interest/respect the second I saw him shove 40 something dowels into a three tiered cake on a different show.

I am so with you on that! The killer for me is the advertisement of the "one of the youngest bakery owners around". They make it seem like he woked so hard to accomplish the goal of opening a bakery at 18-19, when in fact his' grandfather gave him the money. Now, I don't have a problem with that. Heck, I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind having someone front the money for us. BUT it's not like he worked hard to save up the money and just presented a great business plan to a bank, who loaned him the rest. He graduated from pastry school and then his' grandfather signed a check. What is so impressive about that? icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #10 of 25
Quote:

What, is that too many? I usually put about 60 dowels in each tier, decorate totally in the dark if I'm using black fondant, and never try to bake cakes when it's raining. I get all my baking and decorating tips from the interwebz and tv.

AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:52am
post #11 of 25

And don't forget to never ever ever open that oven door for any reason unless you are 100% sure that cake is done.

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:16am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

The killer for me is the advertisement of the "one of the youngest bakery owners around". They make it seem like he woked so hard to accomplish the goal of opening a bakery at 18-19, when in fact his' grandfather gave him the money. Now, I don't have a problem with that. Heck, I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind having someone front the money for us. BUT it's not like he worked hard to save up the money and just presented a great business plan to a bank, who loaned him the rest. He graduated from pastry school and then his' grandfather signed a check. What is so impressive about that? icon_confused.gif

Isn't that how Duff got his start too? Although for some reason it's worked for him....styro-foam cakes and all. lol

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:10am
post #13 of 25
Quote:

And don't forget to never ever ever open that oven door for any reason unless you are 100% sure that cake is done.

Well, if you did that the rain might get into the oven.

AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:14am
post #14 of 25

Oh shoot, thanks for pointing that out!

QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 25

[quote="cakestyles"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Isn't that how Duff got his start too? Although for some reason it's worked for him....styro-foam cakes and all. lol

This si true, but they don't really mention that or make it seem like he did it all on his' own. That's why his' styro-foam cakes are so lovely! icon_wink.gif

Adevag Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:

Same here. I could not stand watching him destroy that topsy turvy cake (at least that was the cake I watched him "stack.")

Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 25

And I thought it was just me.... I would hate to be the person cutting those cakes. The darn things must look like swiss cheese inside. Do you think he provides kitchen cakes to make up for the lost servings???? The last episode that I happened to catch a glimpse at showed a a white cake with black design and a big GREEN "carpet" running from the top to the bottom. EWWW! They showed him stacking the cake and I swear he had at least 12 1/2inch dowels in that sucker, and it could not have been any bigger than a 12" cake.

Bring back Amazing Wedding Cakes.... please.

tigerhawk83 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 25

I'm a Midwesterner - I can't handle ANY of these shows where East Coast "families" yell at each other all the time. Do people really act like that with their families? It's like Jersey Shore on MTV - so put Cake Boss and Staten Island Cakes and all the other east coast yelling families on MTV instead icon_lol.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

I'm a Midwesterner - I can't handle ANY of these shows where East Coast "families" yell at each other all the time. Do people really act like that with their families? It's like Jersey Shore on MTV - so put and Staten Island Cakes and all the other east coast yelling families on MTV instead icon_lol.gif

You just mentioned shows with all Italians, so maybe it's these imparticular Italian featured shows, but I wouldn't say it is an East Coast thing. Far from it. I know of some pretty loud MidWesterners for that matter.

kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:26pm
post #20 of 25

I watch Staten Island Cakes this wknd where Ron Ben-Isreal came to his shop to 'give him business advise' and the 'girls' had to deliver a cake in the snow while he visited Ron's shop.

There is another new show icon_sad.gif Tough cookie" - another family arguing all the time about who's idea this new cookie was; the men argue as to who has the best game idea etc, etc.

Then there is Cupcake Girls (Lori(?) & Heather and Heather's parents fighting all them time) but their in Canada - is that considered 'east coast'? icon_smile.gif

lilcakebaker Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:14am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

I'm a Midwesterner - I can't handle ANY of these shows where East Coast "families" yell at each other all the time. Do people really act like that with their families? It's like Jersey Shore on MTV - so put and Staten Island Cakes and all the other east coast yelling families on MTV instead icon_lol.gif

Im from the Mid-west too and I was wondering the same thing!

I do live in Arizona now but will always be an Oklahoma Sooner fan icon_wink.gif had to throw that in there with your user name icon_wink.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:05am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Effin killing me here! I almost just woke up the kid laughing icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I can't watch that show. That kid bugs and his work sucks. Kills me that RBI was one of his teachers, I just don't see THAT at all.

I like Cupcake Girls. I like how it focuses on actually running a cupcake business. I mean, really, how many times can one watch "OMG we need 1000 cupcakes TOMORROW for this such and such event, lets make a big display that looks like crap! Aren't we innovative? Mummy! Mummy! Can you you help? Oh look, Mummy just got drunk and had sex with the Hobart, Tee hee hee! Look at our pink boots!"

icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Effin killing me here! I almost just woke up the kid laughing icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I can't watch that show. That kid bugs and his work sucks. Kills me that RBI was one of his teachers, I just don't see THAT at all.

I like Cupcake Girls. I like how it focuses on actually running a cupcake business. I mean, really, how many times can one watch "OMG we need 1000 cupcakes TOMORROW for this such and such event, lets make a big display that looks like crap! Aren't we innovative? Mummy! Mummy! Can you you help? Oh look, Mummy just got drunk and had sex with the Hobart, Tee hee hee! Look at our pink boots!"

icon_lol.gif

HILARIOUS!

docofthedead Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 10:58am
post #24 of 25

I have only seen one or two episodes of this show. One of them, he didnt pay his power bill..and was being scolded by his family for it. The other his wacky sister cut in on a client that he was making a cake for her two spoiled dogs birthday..or something that stupid. He was in his home kitchen trying to concoct some sort of cake for the dogs. Just ICK! I won't be sad if this show bites it. I am also sick of all these shows that focus on how horrible these families treat eachother! Aside from the shows everyone has already mentioned, I have to throw in Pawn Stars! I think the premise of the show is interesting...but I can't stand that family! All they do is put eachother down and call eachother stupid. That got really old, really fast.
I really do like Duff though! He just seems easy going and fun to be around. But I could be way off on that since I haven't seen too many of his episodes. Bring back Amazing Wedding Cakes!!!

jeartist Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 11:59am
post #25 of 25

On the up side, Amazing Wedding Cakes is starting new episodes in March.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%