Darth Vader For 50

Decorating By kger Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm by Kiddiekakes

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 6

My friend wants me to make her son a Darth Vader grooms cake to serve 50. She envisions a giant head, and not a multi-tiered round cake with Darth Vader elements. I don't have great fondant skills, so I think the 3D head might be beyond me, but I could of possibly do a 2D carved head out 2 14" rounds or 3 12" rounds. I also have a mask that I might be able to use for a gumpaste mold.

OR, I could get a cake pan so the hardest bits are done, and then add a base round cake to it.

How would you tackle Vader for 50?

5 replies
kger Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 6

There are a bunch of them at coolest birthday cakes.com (http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/darth-vader-picture.html). I really like this one
The creator says:
"The idea for this cake came from the Darth Vader picture on helmets kids wear while fighting on the dark side. I used three 8-inch rounds and one 6-inch round stacked (supported after two layers) and carved to shape. Triangles and rectangles I cut from a square cake and added on for the mouthpiece and at the base to gently flare the helmet.

It was covered with butter cream then chocolate fondant dyed black. Chocolate fondant balls were used for the eyes and pieces were cut for the rest of the mask. I painted the silver part with silver luster dust and vanilla extract. I made sure the fondant was shiny with a coat of shortening before delivering it to the birthday boy."

However, this will only serve about 30-35 according to wilton, so you could go up a size to 3- 10" rounds and an 8" on top, that should get you 50 servings after carving. I find bigger is actually easy to carve. I would also highly recommend using ganache instead of buttercream under the fondant, works so well for carved cakes. Finally, I would also buy the black fondant, or at least start with chocolate fondant. I tried to scratch make black the other day (there was a no chocolate request) and I won't do it again.

Sounds like fun, I'm a bit jealous. There are lots of other options for 2D vader heads. GL

kger Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds easy in theory but I'm a little freaked about it. So many ways it could go wrong. The majority of those vader head cakes look like shite, iykwim. But I totally agree that larger is easier. Thanks for the tip about ganache!

kger Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 6

Can anyone tell me if this would work: if I took the mask and helmet I have and made a fondant mold of them and let them dry? Would this be too fragile?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 6

working with larger cakes is easier as the proportions are bigger to carve with...I also have a 8 inch half ball pan so maybe if you can find one you can use it for the top of the helmut.It was the Betty Crocker Bake N Fill pan..It comes with several pans 2 of which are half spheres..4 inch and 8 inch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%