Wire Used On Cake??

Decorating By Aunt_Goose Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm by Texas_Rose

Aunt_Goose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunt_Goose Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 11

Hi guys! icon_smile.gif

Well for starters I'm fairly new to cake making (maybe 6 months) and new to CC (just a few weeks) and I have already spent plenty of time browsing the *amazing* cake creations on here. I have seen quite a few cakes with pretty wire looking swirls and loops. See example here:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1811940

Now, I know from doing craft projects that wire is very toxic and should not be used with food. My question is.....how do you do this? Is there a special non-toxic food grade wire available??

10 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #2 of 11

There's been lots of postings on this topic and lots of opinions. Many of the bigger named cakers stick the wires directly into the cake. Many people on here do not and are against it. They often stick the wires in a mound or ball of fondant or gumpaste or use coffee stirrers and stick them in the cake and the wire in that. I read somewhere of one person using cloth-covered wire. I haven't found any, but found it an interesting idea. Welcome to CC and good luck with your baking and decorating.

Aunt_Goose Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:59am
post #3 of 11

Hmm...the coffee stirrers sounds like a neat idea. And I have actually used cloth covered wire in a craft project before. In fact I may still have some on hand. (I think It was some type of floral wire, probably from Joann Fabrics) Idk though...i'm not sure if I would still be content (safety wise) with just that thin fabric between the wire and the cake.

Thanks for your quick response! icon_smile.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #4 of 11

I've stuck wires into my cakes before and I used the thinnest drinking straws available here for children's yogurt drinks (I believe they are as thin as coffee stirrers) to hold the wires in the cake. HTH.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:18am
post #5 of 11

There is a thread in the Cake Decorating forum:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290.html
"For those who stick wires in cakes." You could probably get a lot of information/advice there.

shanter Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:26am
post #6 of 11

If you are seeking colored wire, wire is made in some colors. However, check out paper-covered wire for a Japanese craft called mizhiki. These wires still need to be put in a straw or coffee stirrer with a plug (gumpaste, fondant, royal icing) in the bottom for safety. These wires come in many many colors including different metal colors.

Aunt_Goose Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:52am
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much for all the help/info! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:32am
post #8 of 11

i put gumpaste or fondant into a straw and then insert the wire into that. let harden then put into cake. It actually makes the wires feel more sturdy in the cake too icon_smile.gif

shanter Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 11

I spelled that Japanese craft wrong: it's mitzuhiki.

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 11

Ok - how do you create a smooth loop/swirl?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 11

Find something the diameter you want your loop to be, and bend the wire around it. I usually want my loops to be the diameter of the small wilton rolling pin, so I cover it with press and seal and then use it to shape the wires.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%