Faux Cake

Decorating By treetgirl Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 2:56am by sjholderman

treetgirl Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:21am
post #1 of 4

I've heard from many people that fake cakes (for weddings) are less expensive to make than real cakes. I don't understand that....maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems like by the time you figure the cost of the cake dummy, the cost of the buttercream/fondant and then the labor involved it would be about the same cost. What am I missing? Thanks!

3 replies
planetsomsom Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #2 of 4

Hmm...

I guess I wouldn't have considered a cheaper option as much as I would consider it a safer one! (ie: tough to screw up a faux cake)

I just bought some styrofoam rounds recently: 7", 10", 13". Altogether they're about $16. I think if I had to make 4" high cakes of those sizes, the ingredients alone would be much more than that (considering butter is $4 a pound alone!). That's an awful lot of cake. And whatever filling would go inside of it. I think in that sense, a fake cake is definitely cheaper, but not by a whole lot when you consider the rest of it! icon_biggrin.gif

traci_doodle Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #3 of 4

I'm just popping in and passing on hearsay. I remember reading a bit about this the other day on another thread about how some weddings magazines were suggesting to brides that they get faux cakes as a cheaper option. A few of the bakers were miffed about it, since the real cost of cake is the time you put into decorating it, which would be the same as for a real cake. But then some other people were saying that some places "rent" out a faux wedding cake for cheaper. But like it said, none of this is from personal experience, it's just what I read...

sjholderman Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:56am
post #4 of 4

I recently decided to primarily do fake cakes. I chose to do this mainly because I have some time constraints with school & also because I now live in an area that I can't bake from home. I'm going to rent the cakes out for a $100 deposit plus the cost of the "cake". If I get my foam back, they get their check back. That way I only have the cost of the foam cakes once. So far I have one cake booked like this but haven't done one yet, so I guess we'll see how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%