How To Set Jello Into A Cake

Decorating By itchy Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm by CakeItGood

itchy Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:10am
post #1 of 7

Hi! My daughter asked for a beach cake with Jello water. I've seen lots of pics on the site but how do you do it? Do you actually set the jello in the cake or do you set it first and then scoop it into the cake? Also, do you use the regular jello recipe or do you use the jello jiggler recipe? Thanks in advance!

6 replies
princess_09 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

From what I've heard the jello jiggler recipe holds up better if your wanting to make the jello and cut out a shape and set it into the cake. If you use the regular recipe you make the jello and let it set for a little while not all the way. When it is almost set you pour it into the cake. HTH

itchy Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 7

Thaanks! I'll give it a try! Hope it works!

didivella Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 7

Love this kind of cake. If you are interested in seeing my cake it's like the last one on the bottom of page 2. This cake can be very frustrating and stressful, especially when the jello runs out of the pan and all over the kitchen floor. LOL. Here's what I have done. I use my 10" spring form pan and bake the cake. Once the cake it baked, cool it and remove it from the pan. When the cake it completely cooled, mix up the blue jello. Wash the spring form pan, assemble it and line with press and seal, plastic wrap whatever. Carve the cake if needed at this point to represent the slope of the beach if so desired. Put the cake back in the pan, tilt the pan slightly so that the whole cake doesn't get covered in blue jello (incase you want to make a beach or whatever) and pour the over the cake in the area you need the water to be. Place in fridge and let set. You can then decorate the "cake" part and enjoy.

Good luck.

itchy Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 7

Wow! Great idea! just one question though, I was thinking I should put a thim layer of BC to sort of crumb or seal the cake before the jello, so the cake doesn't get soggy. What are your thought? Also, is the jello mixture still warm when you put it in, or do you let it cool abit first?

didivella Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 7

The jello actually sets up quite nicely and doesn't make the cake soggy. If you let the jello cool a little bit until it's starting to thicken up then it will stay in place. The affect of the jello on the cake looks really cool even where it goes down the sides. I wish you luck.

CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

Hi! I was trying to decide how to create a waterfall cake recently, and ran across information on setting jello into a cake. They did recommend that you frost the area that will be filled with Jello, I think it forms a protective barrier from the Jello soaking into the cake while firming up.

In the end, it stressed me out too much and I chose piping gel tinted blue and flavored with orange emulsion, lol. So it smelled tropical as well icon_wink.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%