Goonergirl Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:56pm
post #1 of

Recently discovered that Betty Crocker has downsized their white cake mix from 501g to 461g (in Canada). It's the same price though!!! The chocloate mix has gone from 510g to 432g. Also the same price. I might be the last one to notice this, but I thought I should warn all my fellow WASC bakers out there. I'd be interested to know what you'll be doing to adjust the recipes, if anything.

15 replies
Mme_K Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #2 of

Thanks for the heads up!
icon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of

Wow!!! Thank you! I'm going to weigh my next box!

hbarberycakes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of

Wow thank you for the head's up. I'll have to check it out. I just never think they change the quantities in the box you know?!

DianeLM Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of

I just noticed that too! I usually use Duncan Hines, but recently needed to use a BC flavor. Couldn't believe the weight was 18 oz as opposed to 18.25, which has been the cake mix standard practically forever. (here in the states, we still use caveman measurements. icon_wink.gif ).

ETA: It still worked fine using all the same WASC additions.

VaBelle Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:41am
post #6 of

That explains a lot! I usually use Duncan Hines, but used Betty Crocker for a cake and was shocked that it didn't make up enough batter. It left my cake a bit short. I cursed and swore I'd never used BC again. Now I know why.

foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:07am
post #7 of

I was wondering why my recipe wasn't going as far! Thank you

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:37am
post #8 of

Thank you so much for the heads up! I'm from Canada! icon_smile.gif

Kaykaymay Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #9 of

I haven't made the WASC cake very often but I made it last week and the week before using BC mixes. Edna's blog said that half the recipe makes two 8" rounds so I assumed that they would be 2" or close to 2" high for each but both times they came out a little over 1" high so after stacking filling and frosting my cake was only 3" tall is this normal or is it because they reduced the quantity of the mix?

Goonergirl Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:27pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykaymay

I haven't made the WASC cake very often but I made it last week and the week before using BC mixes. Edna's blog said that half the recipe makes two 8" rounds so I assumed that they would be 2" or close to 2" high for each but both times they came out a little over 1" high so after stacking filling and frosting my cake was only 3" tall is this normal or is it because they reduced the quantity of the mix?


Half a WASC recipe used to make 2, 8" rounds 2" high almost perfectly. Only stands to reason that with less cake mix, it won't anymore.

I think I'm going to have to raise my prices to compensate for the loss. Doing 6+ cakes a week, that little bit is going to add up. Not too happy about that!!

Has anyone phoned BC's hotline or inquired about it on their website (listed on the box)?

DianeLM Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:56pm

You won't have to change your prices if you change cake mix brands. I've been using DH in my WASC for ten years and still prefer it. Of course, if they start shorting their quantities, this issue will have to be revisited. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:24pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBelle

That explains a lot! I usually use Duncan Hines, but used Betty Crocker for a cake and was shocked that it didn't make up enough batter. It left my cake a bit short. I cursed and swore I'd never used BC again. Now I know why.




Even before this, BC and Phils tend to make less than DH.

DH tends to make 5-6 cups, depending on the flavor.

BC and Phils tend to make 4-5 cups, depending on the flavor.

carmijok Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm

Is this just a Canadian thing because I checked all my boxes of BC that I purchased 2 weeks ago and they're all still the same. I'll have to check at the grocery store to see if they've changed with new shipments.

I HATE it when companies do this..and they do it all the time thinking you won't notice when they use the same size packaging!

I don't know if it's just this particular flavor, but I purchased Nestle dark chocolate chips instead of my usual semi=sweet chips for some ganache and instead of being 12 ounces like the Toll House were, they were only 10 ounces! But they sure were the same price as the Toll House! Do manufacturers not consider recipes when they do this stuff? It makes me so angry!

Cakeuhlicious Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:20pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Do manufacturers not consider recipes when they do this stuff?




This made me "lol" a little bit...of course they don't. They consider that they can skim 2oz off the bottom line if they package their product similar to toll house and charge the same price, because most consumers aren't paying attention (just like with this cake mix fiasco). They don't give a flying crap what you're using the product for, as long as you're using it. LOL

carmijok Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Do manufacturers not consider recipes when they do this stuff?



This made me "lol" a little bit...of course they don't. They consider that they can skim 2oz off the bottom line if they package their product similar to toll house and charge the same price, because most consumers aren't paying attention (just like with this cake mix fiasco). They don't give a flying crap what you're using the product for, as long as you're using it. LOL




Very true...and because a recipe calls for a certain amount, then you have to buy MORE of the product to make up for it!

I don't begrudge any company having to raise prices to keep profits from going down, but I do mind the pretense of making it look like there's been no change in the product! It's deceitful. And the sad part is, there isn't a darn thing we as consumers can do about it! Especially if it's a brand you depend on.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:10pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok


I don't begrudge any company having to raise prices to keep profits from going down, but I do mind the pretense of making it look like there's been no change in the product! It's deceitful. And the sad part is, there isn't a darn thing we as consumers can do about it! Especially if it's a brand you depend on.




It's been going on for years and years and years, more years than you would imagine.

As far as the size of the chocolate, that could be a brand/type thing. I know with in the brand I buy one of them, I think the white chocolate, does come in a smaller package.

This is also why it is good with recipes, that people list the size of the container that is used. Not just one 'can' of sweeten condensed milk. But rather one 8oz can of sweeten condensed milk. That way, as the packaging sizes change, the recipes can be adapted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%