Any Suggestions For A Honey Filling? Having Trouble ...

Baking By emiyeric Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 3:43pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys! So my daughter suggested a peanut butter and honey flavor for my son's party, which sounds fabulous, and everybody is very excited ... except that I have no clue how to make a good honey filling. I was planning on doing a whipped filling and adding honey flavoring into it ... Lorann makes a honey flavor, but I would have to order it in, and it wouldn't get here in the next couple of days in time to make the cake. So ... adding honey into the whipped filling? Or any other suggestions? Honey butter directly would probably be too runny, right?

Any ideas? Thanks!

11 replies
Bri122005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri122005 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 12

I do a honey cream cheese filling that everyone seems to enjoy. I don't really measure for icings and fillings, so I don't have a recipe. I just add honey till the honey taste is as strong as I want and then add powder to sugar till it's the consistency I need.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 12

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-challenge/moist-mascarpone-chocolate-cake-with-a-honey-cream-filling-recipe/index.html

http://cafemunchkin.com/2009/02/09/honey-cake-with-honey-cream-cheese-frosting/

Haven't tried them but that's what I came across with google.

There seems to be a lot of honey flavored cakes, so if all else fails you can do a honey cake and a peanut butter filling?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks TexasSugar for those links. The one from FoodNetwork looks like a winner!

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 12

What about adding honey to SMBC to use as a filling? SMBC has such a light flavor on it's own I imagine it would take the honey really well? I mix all kinds of things with SMBC when I'm stuck on filling ideas!

emiyeric Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you all for your recipes and your suggestions! I've been afraid of using honey in the icing for fear of altering the structure of it as an effective filling, but this is so encouraging! Thanks guys!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 12

Make the whipping cream and pudding powder mousse and add honey to taste. It's AMAZING and what we use at my bakery.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Make the whipping cream and pudding powder mousse and add honey to taste. It's AMAZING and what we use at my bakery.

do you have measurements? I am going to make a large sheet cake and would like to use this frosting.

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 12

What a great question -- I've never heard of honey filling! icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:19am
post #10 of 12

I just eyeball it... but I think the official "recipe" is the one on the package but use cream instead of milk, whipping it to medium peaks then adding in the pudding powder (whipping still). You can adjust the amounts to get the best result for you. Any flavor of pudding will work (instant) and you can add any other type of flavor on top to give you a TON of possibilities (coffee syrups, extracts, honey, etc...)

@bob - the honey mousse is AMAZING! like eating honey butter! We make a Zen cake that is green tea cake with honey mousse mmmmm!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 12

I wish I would have read this sooner because there is a monastery close to where I live and the monks there make creamed honey. It's thicker like butter. It would be perfect for a filling. I would have sent you some!

I would do what Kory suggested or just add some honey in to your BC. Go with a dark honey because that has more flavor. You won't need much to get that taste. Honey can taste so different depending on the bees and where they get their pollen.

I hope it works out well for you!

emiyeric Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 12

Love love LOVE this, thank you all for your replies!! I am actually going to try a couple of these ideas, and use whichever one seems to work best texture-wise with what I'm doing, and then just dollop the rest onto breakfast bread this weekend for my family icon_wink.gif .... mmmmmm. We ARE celebrating my son's birthday, after all, and that's as good a reason as any to eat honey cream of some sort for breakfast icon_wink.gif.

And I love the green tea cake and honey filling idea, and the creamed honey idea as well. Thank you all, I LOVE this community!

-Emi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%