Tiki Mask

Decorating By apesusi Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm by apesusi

apesusi Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a rounded tiki mask. What is the best medium to use? Fondant, Gum Paste? Is there something else that would work better than those two? It needs to be hard enough to stand up on top of the cake.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I tried to do a search for a tiki mask, but whenever I do a search and try to go to page 2, it says I have no results. Don't know why.

6 replies
AnotherCaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 7

Search google and flickr, don't limit yourself to the galleries here. Flickr will get you the best results, IMO.

apesusi Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. I already know what I would like it to look like, but I just don't know what to make it out of.

I'm afraid fondant won't dry hard enough and the gum paste would be too brittle. I didn't know if there was something better to use.

susiessweetsaz Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 7

Maybe you could do a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste, that way it should be harder but not quite as brittle as straight gumpaste. I'm going to be making a tiki mask for a cake coming up soon too and that's what I was planning to try. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesusi

Thanks. I already know what I would like it to look like, but I just don't know what to make it out of.

I'm afraid fondant won't dry hard enough and the gum paste would be too brittle. I didn't know if there was something better to use.

I'd use straight gum paste. When you say you're afraid it's going to be too brittle, do you mean it would be too brittle to work with or too brittle afterwards? I've done very thin flowers with gum paste and unless I dropped them, had no problem with breakage. I would use gum paste. I tried using a 50/50 mix for a bow last week and it never dried completely even after 4 days!

susiessweetsaz Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 7

hmm...maybe it depends where you live whether it dries well or not. I've used 50/50 for a lot of things and it's always dried...but I do live in the AZ desert, lol. icon_smile.gif

apesusi Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

thanks guys. I'm in CO, so it's not the desert, but we don't have any humidity. Maybe I'll make 2 and see which works better. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%