Frozen Buttercream Transfer On Side Of Cake?

Decorating By cowie Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm by TexasSugar

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 8

Can you use a frozen buttercream transfer to decorate the side of an iced cake? I am not sure if it will slide of once it thaws. Any thoughts?

7 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 8

I've wondered the same thing... I'd love to find out if anyone knows!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 8

Yes you can. Ive done it many times. Just make sure they arent too big. Sometimes people really pile that icing up and they come out super thick. If your FBCT is half an inch thick its probably going to fall off the cake. Keep it thin and when it comes time to put it on press it gently into the side of the cake. Sometimes Ive even put a little blob of BC where Im going to put the transfer and then piped a little border around the FBCT to help secure it to the cake. Ive not had one fall off yet.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 8

I've done in once, on two different sides of the cake, with out a problem. icon_smile.gif

Frozen or thaw it should be like any other decorations on the cake. Just make sure when you put it on there you really press on it to attach it.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 8

I did frozen buttercream transfers on the sides of a 49ers cake that I made. They didn't fall/slide off. Like TexasSugar said, make sure you press them on really well. I had a few spots where mine didn't want to press in quite all the way so I went back and piped a little buttercream the same color as the edge of the FBCT behind it to fill the gap to make sure it adhered well. It worked pretty well. Here's the link in case you want to see it:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2001800

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your posts. I made one and put it on the side of the cake and so far so good. I am a little worried about delivering it in this heat, but as long as I crank the ac in the vehicle I should be okay.

jjjjjlaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjjjjlaw Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8

Is there a place to upload a picture to and have a transfer made?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjjlaw

Is there a place to upload a picture to and have a transfer made?

What kind of transfer are you talking about?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%