Sugar Free German Chocolate

Baking By bakerliz Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 1:00pm by bakerliz

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 3

I have somebody begging me for a German Chocolate cake that is Sugar Free or at least diabetic friendly. I think I can pull off the cake part, but the Coconut Pecan frosting has me stumped. I've tried using splenda, but I'm getting a really strong unpleasant aftertaste. Any ideas??? TIA

2 replies
augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 3

From the bit of research I've done, for the filling/icing it looks like you could use reduced fat evaporated milk, a sugar substitute (such as Splenda), and unsweetened coconut flakes.

As you said you've tried Splenda, what about other sugar substitutes? I know there are several different types of different qualities, but maybe if there is an equal or better quality one, maybe that won't leave such an aftertaste?

I'm not sure if it would work or even be worth it -- but maybe half regular sugar, half Splenda? (That may be totally useless as diabetic friendly -- I'm honestly not sure).

Now as far as how any of the above would work, I'm not sure and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm or correct, but that's about all I can find as far as making the filling/icing more diabetic friendly.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 3

I might try the 1/2 sugar thing, and maybe a different sweetener. Maybe if I combine sweeteners???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%