Do You Have Rules About Peanut Butter Allergies And Baking?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 11

Question.. If you had a bride wanting peanut butter filling in the entire cake that will be feeding over 300 people how do you protect yourself against any nut allergies?
The family says no one has allergies but with 300 people how can you really know that?
Any tips on how to word that in the contract would be greatly appreciated. Or...any advice in general.
Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 11

My thoughts would be that if someone knows they have a peanut allergy, they'd be sure to check before eating ANYTHING they don't know about!!!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 11

I understand your concern. Just to be on the safe side, I always have a decorated card next to the cake describing the cake flavour, fillings, frostings, etc. That way it gives everyone heads up. If I have nuts in the cake that aren't part of the description, then I add a small asterisk noting the presence of nuts. With so many different allergies out there, it's hard to cover all the bases and I must agree with Relznik that those with food allergies should have the burden of protection.

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I understand your concern. Just to be on the safe side, I always have a decorated card next to the cake describing the cake flavour, fillings, frostings, etc. That way it gives everyone heads up. If I have nuts in the cake that aren't part of the description, then I add a small asterisk noting the presence of nuts. With so many different allergies out there, it's hard to cover all the bases and I must agree with Relznik that those with food allergies should have the burden of protection.

Great idea. I will make up something nice looking and hope they leave it on the table.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 11

We use the following clause in our contract:

"Our products may contain or come into contact with milk, wheat, nuts, soy, and other allergens. You agree to notify your guests of this risk and hold us harmless for allergic reactions."

Considering 4% of the US population has a food allergy, it's likely that at least one guest is allergic to something. I have severe food allergies myself (eggs, nuts, and peanuts) and I always assume that food I didn't see being prepared is unsafe unless proven otherwise.

You may want to include a small tent card with the cake identifying it as containing peanut butter just to be on the safe side. Our business specializes in cakes made without common allergens and we often include these tent cards for wedding cakes, especially when other cakes will be served at the event.

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

We use the following clause in our contract:

"Our products may contain or come into contact with milk, wheat, nuts, soy, and other allergens. You agree to notify your guests of this risk and hold us harmless for allergic reactions."

Considering 4% of the US population has a food allergy, it's likely that at least one guest is allergic to something. I have severe food allergies myself (eggs, nuts, and peanuts) and I always assume that food I didn't see being prepared is unsafe unless proven otherwise.

You may want to include a small tent card with the cake identifying it as containing peanut butter just to be on the safe side. Our business specializes in cakes made without common allergens and we often include these tent cards for wedding cakes, especially when other cakes will be served at the event.

Thanks for sharing that info. This is the first time I will be leaving my cake for someone else to cut and serve as well as the first time I have dealt with peanut butter and that large of a crowd. thumbs_up.gif

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 11

My daughter has a peanut and tree nut allergy so I have experience dealing with such things. First of all, if I cannot speak to and completley trust the baker that there are absolulely no possible traces of peanuts or nuts in the cake( which is impossible unless I'm the baker) I always bring my daughter her own cake, cupcake, or cookies to help her feel like she isn't missing out on a treat. There is no way I would give my daughter cake from one that had peanut butter in another part. ANY traces could kill a peanut allergic person. I'm not saying advise to avoid nuts. By all means, bake with them, people love them. Just don't think you can do one tier in a "safe" flavor for allergic people. If they are allergic they won't go near it. Just have flavors posted so everyone knows what is inside.
For people who aren't used to dealing with allergies it can seem extreme but any possible crosses with nuts or peanuts is dangerous. Like a bowl doesn't get washed perfectly, spatulas get mixed up, even things beyond your control at factories. If you have peanuts or nuts( or items which may contain them,(read labels in your kitchen just to see how many things may contain)) you shouldn't take on that kind of liability. If something were to accidentally contain traces and someone had a reaction that would be bad for business to say the least.
Sorry if I sound harsh. I appreciate people who try to make food safe for my daughter but I will not give her something that I don't trust 100%

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 11

You are a wise mother Myheartsdesire. Any baker that ever uses nuts should put people on notice because of the danger of cross contamination, even in the cleanest of kitchens. Many of our ingredients come from factories that may also produce nut products.

Crazyladybaker, there is an example of my cake card posted with my wedding cake. There were no nuts in the cake itself so I didn't note the presence of such. I make cards for all my cakes and never ever had someone not keep it next to the cake. The brides usually want it as a souvenir.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 11

we have a special cabinet for bakewear, bowls, measuring cupsa, deorating tips, etc that is for when we have a request for an allergy friendly cake ( we have a cabinet for nut free, egg free, and gluten free) i schedule these items for late or early pick ups so i can make sure i am not dealing with anything that may cross-contaminate cakes for allergies. in my contract it states that any item not specifically ordered allergy friendly may contain allergens ( soy.egg,milk,nuts) I have allergies as do my employees so we know how important it is to be aware of cross contamination,

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 11

I wouldn't touch a peanut allergy order with a ten foot pole. And I feel horrid for people with allergies like that. icon_sad.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for the replies. This really can be a serious issue and it helps to hear other bakers experiences.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%