Timing For Wedding Cake Next Week

Decorating By KatrinaBroughton Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm by cakegroove

KatrinaBroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatrinaBroughton Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 3

I'd like some advice on scheduling for a wedding cake I'm making for my brother - starting to freak out a little - my first wedding cake! The wedding is next Friday evening 5 hrs away and I'll be leaving Thursday evening after work. I made the cakes last night and they are well wrapped sitting in my freezer.

I can't decide if I should thaw them this week, syrup, fill (raspberry jam and raspberry smbc), frost (just smbc), and re-freeze. Allowing them to thaw while we drive for 5 hrs next Thursday evening. This way would give me lots of time, but I'm unsure about thawing and refreezing a cake.

OR, should I thaw them Wednesday during the day, fill and frost Wednesday evening after work and let them sit at room temp from Wednesday to Friday (including boxed up in my car for 5 hours)? I'm a little worried about this heat wave we're in!

Either way, I will do the decorating and flowers Friday morning, just in case the car ride is less than kind.

Thoughts? Better to thaw cake and refreeze, or thaw and let sit for two days.

Many thanks!!!

2 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 3

I wish I could help......But, I dont know

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 3

decorate your individual tiers, box them up and refrigerate them overnight. Put them in a well a/c'd car, and keep the a/c cranked up in and assemble on site. This is what I do

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%