Which Tool To Make These Size Rings?

Decorating By Iheartcake Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 10:12pm by ShandraB

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 22

I'm making this wedding cake in August and I'm having a hard time finding something to cut out these rings in this size. I have an 'o' cutter that is smaller, and I have the round cookie cutters from Wilton, which would be a bit bigger. I've checked the cake section and scrapbooking, as well as going to the hardware section, but no luck. Any suggestions?

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/modern-wedding-cakes#slide_75

21 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 22

looks like a shot glass size circle.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 22

Ateco makes a set of round cutters. You get a lot of them in a tin. Handy!

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 22

Agree with leah_s - couldn't live with out the Ateco set - it has 11 sizes so you always have the one you need!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 22

Yep, I also have the Ateco set...use them nearly every day!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

Ateco makes a set of round cutters. You get a lot of them in a tin. Handy!

Worth every penny icon_cool.gif

Iheartcake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:40am
post #8 of 22

Ateco set it is! Thanks all.. much appreciated icon_smile.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 22

are the ateco circles you guys are talking about just circles? i'm also looking for a tool that makes the band not circle (am i explaining it right?) because when i tried making the circles some were not centered right on and looked messy.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 22

They are just circles.

bakencake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 22

ok. Thanks. Maybe i have depth perception. i can never make the second circle centered enough to pull this look. icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 22

I have a set of these, but haven't had them out in a while. Maybe there is a way you can tape two together to hold the smaller circle in the same place every time?

bakencake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I have a set of these, but haven't had them out in a while. Maybe there is a way you can tape two together to hold the smaller circle in the same place every time?

exactly what i was just thinking. i'm going to look at my O on my little alphabet cutter to see how they did it. i wish that O was round and not so oval

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 22

I have the ateco ones, and I also have these. I've snapped two of them together to make rings.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJBFMQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

But I haven't done that for a while, so I'm not sure about the exact size of the rings.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #15 of 22

i actually replicated this cake for a wedding. I used the ateco rings. took a lot of them to make this cake. it did take some practice to get the centers cut out so it was centered. also a tip, i used tylose glue to stick the rings on because it's clear. you can see my version of the cake in my photos

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:16pm
post #16 of 22
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 22

cakeyouverymuch, you're so smart!! Brilliant! Thank you! It's going to my database of tips and tricks.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:34pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you. I really hope it works for you. I haven't tried it out on actual gumpaste or fondant yet, but there's no reason for it not to work. Just remember to cut OUTSIDE the larger ring and INSIDE the inner ring or you won't get a tight enough fit. Also, I'd leave your circles to dry out a bit so they don't change shape as you move them.

Alternately, and for future reference, you could try this product. It comes with a special tape that heat sets. You could make two appropriately sized rings then cut strips to hold them together.

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=3694&step=4

Iheartcake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 22

pastrygirl.. I just looked at your photo.. it turned out perfectly! I was reading the comments and you mentioned to let them dry a bit, but not too much because they need to bend going around the cake. How long did you let them dry? I was hoping to have these circles done in advance to save on time but now I'm nervous they'll be too dry!

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:51pm
post #20 of 22

Ateco rings with foam tape between them - but it's a pain to clean off!

cakeyouverymuch - I can't view the picture you posted - it's giving me an error, would love to know what it was.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:06pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShandraB

Ateco rings with foam tape between them - but it's a pain to clean off!

cakeyouverymuch - I can't view the picture you posted - it's giving me an error, would love to know what it was.

I was told that it was removed because it was "not a usable sketch or template and has been removed at this time."

What I did was cut a blank of foam core to the outside dimension of the fifth Ateco circle cutter, then from the center of that blank I cut a circle to the inside dimension of the third Ateco cutter. I then slid the circle over the third cutter and slid the fifth cutter over the outside, essentially making a double walled cutter separated by a foam core circle which is held in place by the rolled edge of the third cutter. Hope that is clear enough without the pictures.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:12pm
post #22 of 22

Brilliant! That is a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%