Is There A Trick To Dying Something Red?

Baking By angelleyes Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm by imagenthatnj

angelleyes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 9

Over the weekend I tired to dye some MMF red and it turned out hot pink I added more food coloring and finally got it to the red I needed but then the MMF was not easy to work with It ripped and and was way to moist. Is there a trick or should I just buy it next time I need red?

8 replies
RobinO Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:56am
post #2 of 9

The best advice I was given about getting something to be a true red was to tint it pink first (this goes for both buttercream & fondant) and then use red coloring. You use a lot less red that way, hth!

SarahL4683 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:21am
post #3 of 9

Use americolor super red gel color. Super concentrated so you don't have to use that much. Let it sit overnight so it can rest and as an added bonus for your patience, the color will intensify. If it's a bit sticky, work in a bit of cornstarch. If it's dry, work in a bit of shortening.

angelleyes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 9

Ty very much ladies for the advice icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 9

Chefmaster liqua gel gives you red and black instantly. No bitter taste and no waiting for it to instensify.

MamaMarsha Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 9

where can you buy chefmaster?

Cakeuhlicious Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 9

I only use Lucks Liqua-Gel colors, for the reasons others have mentioned. They have no taste, no smell, they're condensed so it takes less and the colors are bright and true to their name, including their super red and coal black. The only set back for a homebaker is you have to have a business tax ID to order. But, thats because their pricing is wholesale and less than 1/2 the cost of Americolors, from what Ive seen. Worth it if you have a tax ID (even if it's your hubby's plumbing business :-p) LOL!

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by MamaMarsha

where can you buy chefmaster?

Do a google search, many websites sell it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%