Everything Explained

Decorating By evans000 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm by rubycurls

evans000 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there, i was wondering if there is anything that basically explains near enough everything about cake decorating i.e what each tool can be used for, what certain powders are used for etc etc.

I am on a course and its only 2 hours per week and i'm not learning quick enough, we've learned how to fondant a cake, a rose, a teddy really the basics i want to know the tips and what powders are added to things and what they do. What is used to stick the fondant when covering the cake etc. Basically about everything.

Ive asked my tutor a couple of times should i do this and she answers definately not but i found these tips off cake experts on tv etc, all people work differently which i understand but i want to be able to make the choice not just do what my tutor shows me.

Are there any posts that even have pics that explain things, i dont even know what each nozzle does as ive only used two of them so far.

Or is there a book like a cake decorating bible out there.

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 8

There are many, many videos on YouTube that explain one thing at a time but I don't think there is one that explains *EVERYTHING* all in one. That would be SUPER long and confussing.

Once when I had to go to court the lawyer said something to the effect that the 1st 5 minutes are critical (and being 1st to say anything) in the minds of jurors.
Basically he said that after 1 hour the mind cannot really absorb much. It's best to keep class time down so the mind can retain what has been taught and practice it over and over to make it 'sink in' icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 8

http://www.cake-decorating.us/ (seems to be full of broken links now...hmmm)

oodles of scanned book pages on this one

follow some of these links to some really awesome information!

if you type in particulars into a google search or even on this site or other decorating sites, you'll find quite a bit of information. There is no ONE go-to book that will explain ALL the variances of every technique.

rpaige Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 8

I am also new to cake decorating and I found it very helpful to just look at the photos everyone on cc posts every day in the gallery. As I found something that intrigued me or that I found really pretty, etc., I "saved" the photo in my Favorite Pictures section. As I had time, I would post a question or send a Private Email and ask how that one thing was done. I also watch all the threads and conversations in the forums every day. I learn from the advice shared. I also learn from the mistakes and the triumps of all. I have found that everyone is very helpful and always willing to share info or send me to a specific tutorial, DVD or book. Everyone may get tired of me but I always ask!

madcobbler Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 8

I have been making cakes for 21 years and still haven't learned everything there is to know. Try focusing one one thing at a time and mastering it instead of trying to be the jack of all trades cake decorator. Practice, practice, and more practice is how you learn. I l took the 3 part wilton series at a local hobby shop. I think the cake mix doctor book and the cake bible book are good sources for recipes. Most public libraries have videos and books on cake decorating. I've picked up at alot of used books on cake decorating from thrift stores. I started out working with buttercream, perfecting making roses, royal icing flowers, learning pillar and stack cake construction. Then I progressed to making SMBC, ganache, fondant cakes, gumpaste and candy clay flowers. The last 5 years have been dedicated to learning about/making european style desserts. Someday I want to learn how to do blown sugar decorations. Wilton has a chart that shows what each cake decorating tip is for. Cake central is a great website for learning about of cake decorating.

evans000 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 8

thank you so much for your replies. I must admit i have learnt an awful lot off CC and when i read something ive got a seperate document i type it in so i'm not searching for that post.

I think i really wanted to start from scratch at my course, the baking, then cutting the cake nice and straight and even then buttercream then fondant etc etc. I feel we've missed all the crucial stuff, but suppose maybe the class would be boring.

i have also learnt a lot from youtube, i'd just love a book i can read and learn and take to work for my lunch breaks etc. I'll have a good look at all the links.

Thanks again for your replies and advice.

rubycurls Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 8

I am totally self taught and one of the things I learned quickly was that mastering the basics, how to correctly tort, fill, stack, crumb coat, buttercream and fondant, is the most important part of successful decorating. Getting good at these techniques really polishes your look and enhances the design elements. Anything you put on top of a well based cake will always look great. There is a lot of info out there on different caking techniques. I started by designing something on paper then breaking it up into mini research projects. How to make a bow, research, how to make a Rose, research, string work, research etc. Along the way you'll find similar techniques for other projects and that's how I am learning now. Also some of the best learns I have discovered have come from my own mistakes where I have had to fix or adapt a design. No one can teach you as much as you will learn after a few months of practice and trial and error. If you want a comprehensive guide to decorating try the international school of sugarcraft book series by Nicholas lodge. They are very good. Hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%