Fondant Toppers

Decorating By ragu977 Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm by leafO

ragu977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ragu977 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

How far in advance can you make fondant toppers? Also, how would you store them?
Thanks

6 replies
ataylormadecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ataylormadecake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 7

I have made them up to about a week or two ahead. I either set them onto wax paper and put into a deep tupperware bowl or if I don't want to risk moving it, I just invert the bowl over the top and leave it alone.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

Pink and Purple are bad about fading so if you make those up early protect them from the light.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 7

I gotta say, I much prefer using gum paste for toppers instead of fondant. Gum paste dries much, much faster.
I just did a baby shower cake and instead of using pure gum paste I went ahead and used a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste for a bow and that sucker was still soft after 4 days! I don't love much about Wilton...but I do love their pre-made gum paste.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 7

I like 50/50 fondant/gum paste also, but for my Cat in the Hat, I tried fondant and Mexican Paste and it worked really well! It dried very hard, like straight gum paste, but I was able to keep the colors I needed.

icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2100654

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 7

I do toppers out of fondant all the time. icon_smile.gif

I usually let them air dry for a few hours or overnight, so they are firm enough to handle without breaking and and can stand up in an icing swirl but still soft when you bite into them. Then I'll put them in an airtight container until I'm ready to use them. I use little individual candy ziplocs but you could put them on wax paper and put them in a bigger ziplock too. They'll last a really long time as long as you keep them sealed and away from any light source so the colors don't fade.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

Here's a fondant cupcake topper I made:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2100765

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%