Buttercream Making Throat Scratchy?

Decorating By onceuponacake Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 12:32am by LindaF144a

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 10

Why do some buttercreams make throat scratchy temporarily?

Is it too much sugar?

9 replies
peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 10

Do you know what butter creams are making your throat scratchy? It sounds like an mild allergic reaction, find out what the ingredients are and avoid them!
Scratchy throat could be the beginning of a serious allergic reaction, better to find the culprit and avoid it.

onceuponacake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 10

its sugarshacks recipe which ive used for several years...im making it in a 20qt mixer now which means ive quadrupled it, but i put extra pwdered sugar in it and i think that's the cuase. swhen i make it in my reg kitchenaid i dont get that problem

ive had certain store bought cakes that give me the same scratchy throat fillign

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

its sugarshacks recipe which ive used for several years...im making it in a 20qt mixer now which means ive quadrupled it, but i put extra pwdered sugar in it and i think that's the cuase. swhen i make it in my reg kitchenaid i dont get that problem

ive had certain store bought cakes that give me the same scratchy throat fillign

You are having an allergic reaction to something in the buttercream. About 5 years ago I noticed that I would get an itchy throat to raw apples. In the past year I went through some allergy testing. Come to find out I am highly allergic to birch trees, which carries over to apples. I can't eat raw apples, but I can eat cooked apples.

And the new dehydrated vegetables that are at my market. It is making my throat itch, so I won't eat it. I don't see anything listed in the ingredients, but something is happening to give me a reaction.

Go get tested. You can develop allergies any time in your lifetime.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:55am
post #5 of 10

My husband complains about his throat being scratchy whenever I make BC recipes with a lot of powdered sugar, like Indy's recipe. When I make an IMBC or Charlotte's recipe, he doesn't complain about it. He says it's "harsh and scratchy."

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:04am
post #6 of 10

Sometimes too much sugar can make your throat tingle but it should go away with a drink or two. If it persists, you should check for allergies.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:12am
post #7 of 10

Are you using some kind of extract-almond would mean a reaction to tree nuts?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #8 of 10

hmmm sounds allergy related to me too.

onceuponacake Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 10

hey everyone!

i am not allergic to nuts and have almond all the time with no reaction. the scratchiness/irritation disappears after a few seconds, taht's why im thinking it the sugar like kitgrl suggested.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:32am
post #10 of 10

Like I said, you can develop allergies any time in your life. Unless you were tested say last week, you do not know for sure. Like I also said, a slight scratchiness that goes away does not mean it is life threatening, just that it is there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%