Making Royal Icing

Baking By corycrazy1 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm by corycrazy1

corycrazy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corycrazy1 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 7

hi,ive heard that royal icing can be made with just egg white and icing sugar.if i do this how long will it keep ? many thanks.

6 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

Without even addressing the raw egg issue royal icing works best fresh so I suggest making it the same time you need to use it. After about two days (Kept in the fridge) it still works but the texture is not the same even if you re-whip it. After you form your decorations they last a long time when the are good and dry. Just store them in a dry cool place in an airtight container with some cornstarch (not in the fridge).

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 7

I have not heard of the egg white recipe but my wilton instructor told us to use water and powdered sugar. You can make your flowers months in advance like the royal icing flowers you see in the grocery store. I found this recipe for you on CC:

4 floz water
3 rounded tablespoons meringue powder
1 1/4 LB confectioners sugar

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 7

Please don't use real egg whites, it's not worth the risk. ( I have used royal a week later with no ill effects.)

corycrazy1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:03am
post #5 of 7

thanks for your replies and the gr8 info !!!! it is very much appreciated !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:27am
post #6 of 7

i have always used raw egg whites for family cakes and no problem, ever!
Besides if i worried about egg whites all the time there would be no fun in eating cake batter!
x

corycrazy1 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7

hey,ive sorted the situation . . . . i found a pack of royal icing sugar which includes everything and all you add is water !!!! you can use as much as you like so theres no waste.its by "silver spoon" and only cost 99p !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%