Swirling Filling In Cake Batter

Decorating By augurey Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 4:34pm by imagenthatnj

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 17

I've read on here about doing cake swirls and that you put some batter in your pan, swirl some of the filling in, and then pour the remaining batter in. This sounds interesting and something I'd like to try.

But, and I realize that this may sound dumb, I'm not sure what to expect. I've read that this method can be used instead of doing filling. So I guess my question is, what is the final product of doing this? Like when you cut the cake, you have bits of filling actually in the cake?

Also, for anyone that does this, do you still torte or put a filling between layers? If not, do you just let the layers sit on top of each other (if doing a two layer)? Or is this more preferred if doing a single layer sheet cake?

16 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 17

I've never heard of this but it sounds really interesting

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 17

Are you refering to marble cake, where you marbilize 2 flavors such as chocolate and vannila in one cake?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 17

OP, I've not done it but, have seen some recipes similar to what you mention and thought that it may weaken the layers if they were split and filled but I would definitely still put icing between the two layers of a layer cake as opposed to having them rest together with nothing between.

Normally, I split and fill each layer, giving me 4 thinner layers of cake with 3 layers of icing. I would be content with these types of cake just having the two layers of cake and 1 layer of icing. That's not to say I wouldn't try to split a layer to see what happens though.

all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 17

Although, she used a tube pan, the technique would be about the same, right? http://www.kitchenist.com/cooking/cake/another-exception-blueberry-swirl-pound-cake/1347

The slice shown, looks like it would be structurally sound to cross cut if you wanted to split to spread icing ...OMG!...or custard!...or a cheesecake filling! ...between. I can tell, right now, what today is going to be like...me, in the kitchen, making a white chocolate, cream cheese custard ...or mousse ...I'm thinking with cherries, not blueberries....This is just great!

augurey Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 17

MadMillie, not necessarily for marbled cake, but for fillings such as raspberry, strawberry, apple, etc. Though it does sound like the same concept but with filling rather than cake batter.

all4cake, I've only ever torted a cake once. I usually just layer, but after reading that it's often used instead of fillings, that's where I was a bit confused. I could see how torting might be difficult with the swirls.

The link gives me a better picture of what to expect. Though the picture looks like it might be more structurally sound with it being pound cake; not sure if I would want to try this with a regular cake, but I might be surprised and may give it a shot, but I do mostly layer.

Aside from having yet to try this, it sounds like a great way to have just endless possibilities. Would you be able to put cheesecake filling/custard swirls in? That sounds absolutely delicious!

all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 17

Oh, I don't know about cheesecake/custard swirls. I was thinking cherry swirls with cheesecake/custard between the layers.

I decided, I needed to go mow before I did major damage in the kitchen (damage to any THOUGHT of a diet, that is...).

I was just thinking, if thinner layers were swirled with the filling (not too chunky kind of fruit filling...maybe add a bit of the batter as described in the link above), one could layer those with the custard or buttercream or whatever in between without compromising the structure...eliminating the need to split the layers.

I'll have to experiment.

jessieslittlecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieslittlecakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 17

I haven't made one, but I have eaten one...lol it was a really dense moist chocolate cake swirled with cheesecake, with chocolate ganache filling between layers. It was incredible!

all4cake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:00am
post #9 of 17

Oh! Gosh! jessieslittlecakes, that sounds delicious! Like someone took those brownies...cheesecake or cream cheese (they got the swirl of the cheesin' goin' through 'em)...and layered them with ganache between. I never thought of doing that but, I think it's a smashin' good idea!

augurey Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:08am
post #10 of 17

all4cake and jessieslittlecakes, those combinations sound delicious!

I think once I get through the things I have to bake for over the next couple of weeks, I think I'm going to have to experiment...

My more recent plan was to try a raspberry swirl in a lemon cake, but not 100% sure if I'm doing that now to some changes in the anniversary planning.

all4cake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:16am
post #11 of 17

I love lemon! I love raspberry! I love chocolate! I love cheesecake! I love sweets! Period!

Let's all (whoever tries it) share our results of this experiment. I'll try to remember to take pictures...

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:42am
post #12 of 17

I offer about ten items that use this method, but in several cases, the filling must be adapted to remain intact. It can be done with almost anything. It was one of the more difficult adaptations that I have developed. Every recipe was a little different. The results, if you are willing to experiment, become favorites. But in most cases, I still ice the item. The baked in filling is just a tasty surprise.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 17

scp1127: This sounds very interesting to me. Can you point me in the right direction as far as where to begin to adapt my recipes? I've been known to make 7 cakes in a row trying to tweak a recipe, but must admit I don't really have a clue as to where to begin to adapt a recipe for this application. Thank you.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 17

We made these at the bakery I worked at (grocery store) they were called creme cakes. They are a very dense moist cake. You can use any pudding mix recipe and use ready made pouch filling. Swirl in the center of the batter and mix with a dowel rod just till blended. Delish!! some flavors we mixed were: chocolate cake/bavarian filling, butter cake/guava filling, butter/ rasberry or any thick fruit filling. the list goes on...

all4cake Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:02pm
post #15 of 17

I found another site describing a technique on it.

http://susikochenundbacken.blogspot.com/2010/08/marbled-lemon-blueberry-butter-cake.html

I would also like to include a link to an INCREDIBLE site that, if you weren't in the mood for something sweet before visiting it, you will not be able to rest until you've made something sweet after visiting it!

http://dessertstalking.com/category/cakes/

Scroll through the 63 pages of images and just try not to want to make something sweet...or, at the very least, eat something sweet!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 17

I was just going to type that there was a cake in the Sky High book by Alisa Huntsman that had that swirl filling in, when I saw all4cake's link. I make it often and it's a very delicious one.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 17

all4cake, I go to this one every day.

http://foodgawker.com/post/category/dessert/

But this one is for all kinds of food, even though you see it's crowded with desserts most of the time. (I also go to craftsgawker.com every day, totally unrelated to cake, but still good to check out).

Thanks for the dessertstalking list.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%