In Case I Can't Manage Cream Cheese Rosettes..

Decorating By MsInterpret Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 9:25am by MsInterpret

MsInterpret Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:54am
post #1 of 4

I plan on trying to make my cake with rosettes with cream cheese frosting but I keep reading how it's likely to be problematic and I am REALLY wanting cream cheese frosting on this cake.

I am a novice as far as decorating goes, so I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for something pretty and simple I could do while still using cream cheese frosting?

This is for a wedding type cake. I am okay with using some other forms of icing for additional decoration, but I don't want buttercream or whatever in large quantities. I want the overall frosting to be cream cheese for the taste.

3 replies
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:06am
post #2 of 4

Search the recipe section on this site, there are some recipes for crusting cream cheese icings and I would believe you should be able to use these on your cake. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:07am
post #3 of 4

You can use cream cheese, you just need to stiffen the icing when you want detail work. First consider the temperature and length of time the cake will be exposed. If it will be warm, the cake will need to be refrigerated until close to serving time. If the room is cool, it can stay out a little longer. I use a combination of butter/cream cheese. To stiffen the icing, add more powdered sugar only to the icing used to pipe. This will keep the bulk of the icing in balance and keep it from being super sweet. The sweeter, stiffer icing will be on the decorations. Still, this is a softer icing than most. Some bakers stabilize with shortening, which is something I never do, but that is just a preference.

There are several recipes for more stable icings that use cream cheese, but another baker will need to chime in.

MsInterpret Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:25am
post #4 of 4

Thanks everyone. I have seen photos of some cream cheese frosting rosettes that look awesome so I am still hopeful! But I have also read many threads about how hard it can be (or soft, really, lol)!

I couldn't imagine using shortening though, personally. Just don't like it and this cake is for ME and my spouse. I was just trying to plan for a "worst case" scenario since I will be making this cake the day before and if I can't get it right I don't want it to just be "plain".

We were married in March out of state and are having an "at home" reception here in town. We already paid for and had the big pro cake in March, and I was really really disappointed (mainly in the taste) so I have decided to DIY my second cake for this party... but my cakes are always known for being yummy, vs. pretty. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%