Tastes Like Indydebi's Buttercream, Doesn't Crust..ideas?

Baking By pusskin Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 1:45pm by pusskin

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:58am
post #1 of 5

Hi guys
Of all the various frostings I have tried the only one all my kids like is Indydebi's however I would prefer a non-crusting icing for the hair on my cat and dog cuppies. Can anyone suggest a recipe that will manage both these things.

Thanks in advance

Yours aye
Puss

4 replies
rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:29am
post #2 of 5

I'm going to step out on a ledge here and suggest what I do - with caution. I also use Indydebi bc because of the crusting factor. When I want a softer appearance and I DON'T need something that will crust or need the stability in order to make an upright flower, etc., I use a cream cheese frosting. There are plenty of recipes on this site. However, using cfeam cheese can be challenging when dealing with humidity, heat, direct sunlight from a window, etc.. Indydebi even said it is difficult to work with when she and I discussed. I have had my fair share of learning experiences and mistakes with cream cheese frosting but it is delicious and often requested. I would suggest making a small batch to use on personal/family cupcakes, etc. just to see if you like the affect and taste. I'm fairly new to baking so it could be my lack of skill and I certainly keep trying! Hope this helps!

pusskin Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in Scotland so heat and humidity are rarely a problem. I haven't needed to put the butter dish in the fridge yet this year. I'm not doing this as a business yet and to be honest would rather work for someone else so it's just the family to please just now. I've not had much luck with creamcheese frostings before but will try some cc recipes.

Yours aye
Puss

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 5

Use less sugar or use more fat. The more sugar to fat ratio will create a crusting BC. When the two start to meet in the same weight, there will be less crusting.

pusskin Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks I'm new to buttercream,when I first did some classes I learned royal icing over marzipan usually on a fruit cake. Mind you that was quite a long time ago and I only started because the class was down the corridor from the pottery class my mum dragged me along to keep her company. I was fascinated by the flowers and things, besides you could eat the results.
Yours aye
Puss

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%