Need A Bright Red Gumpaste Rose

Decorating By CakesbyMichele Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm by icer101

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:37am
post #1 of 7

I need a cherry red (or bright red) gumpaste rose. It seems that all my red flowers end up kind of dull. I need to have a bright, vibrant red. How can I get my red like this?

Thanks! Michele

6 replies
vharbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vharbin Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 7

A good dusting of petal dust should do the trick.

divadidelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadidelights Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 7

I just made some yesterday and they are on my las vegas cake I just posted..I brushed with red petal dust but in the end I airbrushed them so they were really red.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:47am
post #4 of 7

I just finished making 60 bright clear red roses for a wedding cake later this month. I used TBK red gumpaste mix after several tries at tinting my own gumpaste failed miserably. You have to mix the TBK powder by kneading it well the first day, let it sit over night and then knead again the second day to really disperse the dye grains. if you use it as it, the roses are a deep red/blackberry color (like a Black Baccara rose) but if you mix in white gumpaste (say 50/50) you get a clear red similar to a Mr. Lincoln rose)....add even more white (say 25% red to 75%white) you get a coral rose. The colors are clear and don't dry to a dull. i petal dust mine or slightly pearlize but even if you leave them alone and just steam them they look lifelike...not dull. I got my red gumpaste from http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/TBK-Red-Gumpaste-Mix.aspx.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 6:49am
post #5 of 7

You could paint the flowers red by adding a drop of Vodka (or Vanilla) to the petal dust. I do this to my flowers to get a deep red.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 7

Try steaming the roses...The color really pops and it adds a shimmer to the flowers.

Here's a cake I did with red roses that I steamed..
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/12983

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 7

RED RED by bakery craft is a beautiful red.hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%